Track runner Shawn Baidoo running one of the relay races.
Boys Track Team Sprinting Through the Record Books
Nick Perez, Staff Writer • May 23, 2024

With many records broken this year, it was a very successful season.  The 2024 boys varsity team...

Track runner, senior Serena Thaker getting ready to run her event
Racing to New Heights
Nick Perez, Staff Writer • May 23, 2024

With the season coming to a close, anyone can see, when reviewing the girls track team, the stellar season...

World Summit
Brianna Sweeney, Staff Writer • May 23, 2024

World Summit is a current events debate presented by 9th grade history classes to expand students' knowledge...

Seniors Riley Boyle, Katelyn Roux, and Samantha Grodovich pose for a photo after dinner.
SWHS Seniors Celebrate a Casual Senior Reception
Katelyn Roux, Staff Writer • May 22, 2024

On Friday, May 17th, the class of 2024 attended their senior reception at the Marriott in Windsor, CT.  Senior...

Mrs. Wolff works with her student teacher during a child development class.
Mrs. Wolff Retiring
Annalyse McKenna, Staff Writer • May 22, 2024

South Windsor High School’s beloved child development and child care teacher, Mrs. Ann Wolff, is retiring...

Coach McDermott gathers with a couple of players at the mound during a pitching change.
‘Cats Win CCC East With Win Over Eagles
Eli Schwartzman, Web Manager • May 21, 2024

On Monday, May 21, the South Windsor High School baseball team hosted the East Catholic Eagles, winning...

South Windsor Volunteer Breakfast

South+Windsor+volunteers+were+thanked+for+their+dedication+and+service+at+a+brunch.+
Carol Manzella
South Windsor volunteers were thanked for their dedication and service at a brunch.

On Tuesday, April 30, the people of South Windsor joined together at the Community Center in celebration of the town’s volunteers. Those who have given their time to the Human Services Department in the past were treated to a delicious breakfast.

The event consisted of those who have served as meals on wheels drivers, bingo callers, telephone reassurance volunteers, kitchen helpers, volunteer readers, community service group members, newsletter collators, and food bank volunteers. Within the many programs of the Human Services Department, there are around 200 volunteers in total.

The head of this wholesome gathering is the Director of Human Services, Andrea Conransecso. Without her efforts, South Windsor’s volunteers would unfortunately go unnoticed.

Pullquote Photo

It’s once a year that we are able to thank and serve the volunteers who so tirelessly help us and the residents of South Windsor. They make a difference every day.

— Director of Human Services, Andrea Cofrancesco

One of the individuals who attended the breakfast was South Windsor resident, Carol Manzella, a regular South Windsor volunteer. She joined the South Windsor community after moving from New Jersey in 2014, and has loved volunteering in town ever since. 

“I decided to volunteer because I was retired, had just moved to a new state, and knew it would be a good way to get to know the community,” Manzella stated.

Manzella’s first opportunity as a volunteer was reading to the K-5 elementary students. This is a well known tradition among the South Windsor Public Schools District where senior citizens are able to connect and interact with the youth of the community. 

Gift baskets that SW volunteers received as a token of appreciation. (Carol Manzella)

“It’s a good way to see the different schools, meet the teachers and staff and form friendships with other volunteers.”

In addition to Manzella, there are plenty of South Windsor residents who dedicate their time and effort to helping town citizens. South Windsor is grateful for all of the caring individuals who strive to better our town and community as a whole.

Each volunteer was given a gift basket of olive oil and vinegar and donuts as a sign of appreciation.

Other attendees at the event included South Windsor’s Mayor, Audrey Delnicki, and Town Manager, Michael Maniscalco.

The Senior Connection Newsletter identifies ways that seniors in town are able to get involved and volunteer their time.