South Windsor’s Wapping Fair is Back

Mrs. Quinn
Children taking photos and enjoying there time at the annual Wapping Fair.

On a Wednesday afternoon in mid-March, The Prowl received an invitation to a meeting that had intentions of saving the Wapping Fair. David Prior, a South Windsor resident has taken it upon himself to revive the Wapping Fair.

In January 2024, The South Windsor Jaycees Foundation announced its closing, leaving the Wapping Fair stranded. David Prior was quick to respond to this upset, reaching out to various South Windsor residents in search of support for his new mission. Prior says he aims to have the fair running at full capacity for its 132nd anniversary, which will be held the weekend of September 5th, 2024.

“I want everyone to know, the Wapping Fair is back,” Prior told The Prowl.

Prior has worked tirelessly with his team throughout the past month, who call themselves The Friends of the Wapping Fair. The team holds a meeting each month in which they generate new ideas while making sure to preserve beloved traditions for the upcoming fair.

While some ideas are subject to change, many decisions have already been made for the upcoming fair.

I want everyone to know, the Wapping Fair is back,”

— David Prior

The Wapping Fair will continue to be held at John J. Mitchell Fairgrounds, which will display an array of attractions that are already secured for the event. In addition,The Friends of the Wapping Fair seeks to establish the fair as a nonprofit organization. 

In past years the fair was run, primarily, by local volunteers and small businesses. Currently, The Friends of the Wapping Fair are still searching for additional volunteers. Prior’s team intends to extend the volunteer opportunities to South Windsor High School students. This will allow students to fulfill their community service hours in a fun environment, benefiting the fair and school community.

In addition to volunteers, the fair is still seeking additional vendors and sponsors that will be necessary to bring the Fair back to its original successes. 

An unresolved issue The Friends of the Wapping Fair is facing is their lack of publicity. Many South Windsor residents still believe the fair is dead and aren’t aware of these efforts to revive it. To spread the word, the team intends to create a recognizable logo and reachable website. Both of these issues are being addressed and are currently being acted upon. 

As word spreads about The Wapping Fairs revival, The Friends of the Wapping Fair remain hard at work, as they are ‘determined to restore this beloved tradition.’ The Prowl is also excited to help The Friends of the Wapping Fair to restore this great tradition in South Windsor.