Avon’s Downfall: Bobcats Rule Field in Victory

Senior captains, Max Plunske and Luke Taylor, strategizing the next play for the cats.
Eli Schwartzman

On Friday, May 3rd, the South Windsor Bobcats hosted Avon on the ‘Cats home turf, with the home team having an amazing first half that ended with them leading 9-1.

Senior Luke Taylor started off the game hot with the first goal with his teammates senior captain Max Plunske and junior Jalen Canales by his side to help.

“It went pretty well overall. We had momentum from Newington’s game which was huge and helped us put up 9 in the first half to give us a lead to seal the win,” senior captain Max Plunske stated. 

Senior Mitch Chaves is another terrifying player to go against on either side of the ball, with Chaves having an amazing game scoring 4 goals against Avon. 

“I feel the game went alright because we were up big in the first half and then we almost let Avon get ahead of us, but we locked in at the end and sealed the win,” junior Jalen Canales said.

The ‘Cats can’t win games without having good defense, and without defensemen Kevin Shover, Connor Mahan, and goalie Will Castelhano, the Bobcats wouldn’t be where they are today. 

The cats and coaches celebrating after beating Avon 12-9. (SW Boys Lacrosse)

“I feel like the game went really well for us, and I think Josh Fines’ last goal of the game was a really big moment for us to finish off the game strong; it really set the tone for Ellington,” senior Kevin Shover said. 

Following the game, senior Connor Mahan spoke to The Prowl. “We lost our focus for a bit after the first half but gained it back, we need to keep working hard and keep the momentum going before Ellington.” 

Sophomore Issac Gerber was also a big help for South Windsor, smoking the Avon players en route to winning the majority of face offs, helping the Bobcats maintain possession for the majority of the game.

“Winners never quit and quitters never win, as soon as we started to lose momentum in the game we could have easily quit. Instead the boys got together in a timeout, figured out what we needed to do and executed getting the win. Shoutout to Golden Bear (Connor Mahan) for ending Avon’s run with a snipe to give us the momentum we needed to secure the dub,” junior goalie Will Castelhano said.

Winners never quit and quitters never win…

— Will Castelhano

The game wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows for the ‘Cats with Avon almost coming back with a final score of 12-9; however, the Bobcats took home the win with senior Zach Morison and sophomore Josh Fine both scoring a goal for the home team.

South Windsor currently has a record of 5-6 and need to win two of the five remaining games to make the playoffs. The next game for the ‘Cats is on Tuesday May 7th against the Ellington Knights at 4:00 on the home turf.