Track runner, senior Serena Thaker getting ready to run her event
Racing to New Heights
Nick Perez, Staff Writer • May 23, 2024

With the season coming to a close, anyone can see, when reviewing the girls track team, the stellar season they had in the record books. This...

Coach McDermott gathers with a couple of players at the mound during a pitching change.
‘Cats Win CCC East With Win Over Eagles
Eli Schwartzman, Web Manager • May 21, 2024

On Monday, May 21, the South Windsor High School baseball team hosted the East Catholic Eagles, winning the contest 6-5 and securing their first...

SW Bobcat seniors talking pregame before taking on RHAM for senior night.
Bobcats Attack the CCC Tournament
Alec Dziuba and Luke TaylorMay 21, 2024

The boys will arrive at RHAM high school today at 4pm for a rematch versus RHAM, after not winning the matchup when the played them during the...

Girls tennis gives a pep talk before a home match.
On the Way to a Victory!
Jaelyn Salas, Staff Writer • May 21, 2024

The South Windsor girls tennis team has had a great season this year with a record of 13-1 and are expected to do well in the upcoming CCC conference...

The TGC

Featured Athlete: Jalen Canales
Eli Schwartzman
Jalen Canales getting shots in before his big game against Suffield.

Junior lacrosse champ, Jalen Canales is a fast and creative student athlete who loves to have fun and compete at the same time. 

Canales has been playing lacrosse for 11 years, battling alongside Senior Captain Max Plunske for almost all his life. 

¨As I like to call him the toe drag champ, me and him are the dynamic duo and he’s one of the hardest workers on the field,” Max Plunske explained when discussing his long-time teammate with The Prowl.

Canales is also affectionately known as the Toe Drag Champion, TGC for short. He received the nickname since he’s gained a reputation of being one of the best at toe dragging his opponents, as well as juking anyone who gets in his way. After 13 toe drags against Newington, he officially was crowned the TGC by his teammates and coaches. 

Canales was inspired to start playing lacrosse from his dad, falling in love with the sport ever since being introduced to it. 

The ‘Cats celebrate in the locker room after beating Suffield 11-7. (Max Plunske)

“I like the physical part of the game, but the mental part plays a big aspect in it so you have to be strong in both ways,¨ Canales stated.

As of now, Canales has over 20 points throughout his 3 year career, and he’s focused on pushing himself and to set standards high for next year. 

¨Jalen is a very good player; he is the quarterback of the offense. He always throws good passes and knows how to shoot,” sophomore Mason DeCiantis  explained when discussing the junior’s game.

Currently the Bobcats have a record of 3-2 which has already matched the amount of wins the team had last year, so Canales and the team are feeling pretty good. With a couple more good showing the team is in prime position to make the playoffs this season, and hope to advance.

Mr. Canales