South Windsor Experiences Red Wave

Voting+for+South+Windsor+took+place+at+South+Windsor+High+School+on+November+7th.+
Eliza Blanchfield
Voting for South Windsor took place at South Windsor High School on November 7th.

In a surprising upset, historically Democrat-controlled South Windsor experienced a big Republican victory in Tuesday’s election resulting in a change in the town’s government. 

On November 7th, thousands of South Windsor residents made their way to the polls at various South Windsor school sites, going to cast their votes for the local 2023 election. 

Arriving at the polls early, Republicans, Democrats, and United Community Party members welcomed residents, hoping for a successful continuation or change in political power throughout their town. 

The positions up for grabs in the election included Town Council, Treasurer, Board of Education, Selectmen, and Planning and Zoning. All these races were won with a Republican majority.

The polls yielded the following results:

• The Board of Education was won by Maneeley (R), Zimmerman (D), Esstman (R), Kimber (R), Macchi (D), Kalia (R), Poma (R), Coursey (D), and Marks (D), which gives Republicans a 5/4 majority. 
  • The Town Council was won by Delnicki (R), Siracusa (R), Carey (R), Balboni Jr. (R), Lewis (R), King Jr. (D), Evans (D), Buganski (R), and Pendelton (D), which gives Republicans a 6/3 super majority. 
  • The Board of Selectmen was won by Mitchell (R), Seypura Sr. (R), and Pendelton (D).
  • The Treasurer position was won by Joy (R).
  • Planning and Zoning was won by Foley (R), Dexter (R), and Pacekonis (D).

These results were especially surprising for South Windsor, as the town has historically been run by the left with  61% of the vote going to Biden in 2020.

Despite the results, “the atmosphere was optimistic about the future,” SWHS senior,  Quinn Yanaway, who was with the Democratic Party as votes were being counted, explained.

As for the Republicans, the party is ecstatic about the win and looking forward to getting things done. 

Our mission is to serve this community by enhancing the quality of education, ensuring the safety of our schools, preserving the unique charm of our town, and making it more affordable so that generations of families can continue to thrive here.

— newly elected Board of Education member, Kenna Kimber

“Our mission is to serve this community by enhancing the quality of education, ensuring the safety of our schools, preserving the unique charm of our town, and making it more affordable so that generations of families can continue to thrive here,” newly elected Board of Education member, Kenna Kimber told The Prowl, “Stay tuned as we roll up our sleeves and get to work for South Windsor.”

The United Community Party, a new party in town, failed to win any seats in the election. However, considering the recentness of its party approval in 2022, the United Community Party obtained a substantial amount of votes. 

“I’m proud of the campaign that our candidates ran,” United Community Party Vice Chair, Jessica Waterhouse explained. “Although we didn’t get the results we hoped for, we’re excited to now be an official party here in South Windsor.”

The United Community Party will continue its progression until the next election rolls around. 

Despite the unexpected power shift, all three parties are optimistic about serving their town and shaping the future of South Windsor.

View Comments (1)