Racing to New Heights

Track runner, senior Serena Thaker getting ready to run her event
Ivy Pohl

With the season coming to a close, anyone can see, when reviewing the girls track team, the stellar season they had in the record books.

This year we have seen a new #2 100m record performance with a blazing 12.64 by junior Jaya Pichay. For the 200-meter dash, we saw two new additions to the top 5 with senior Serena Thaker at #4 running a 26.24, and Pichay at #5 running a 26.44. Thaker also etched herself into the #5 spot in the 400m with a time of 1:00.14.

In total, there have been 7 new additions just this year to the top 10 all-time, combining the 100, 200, and 400 meter dashes only.     

“I’m happy with the way my final season is ending. I was able to finally reach under 60 seconds in the 400 which has been a goal of mine for a long time. This season went by so fast, but I hope to take in the last bits of it and continue to improve my times as well as enjoy it. Being in the record books is an accomplishment I am so grateful for, it’s something that when I first switched to South Windsor I didn’t expect, so working hard on improving and being able to leave as a stronger athlete is something I am happy about and thankful for the people who helped me get here,” Thaker explained. 

Being a South Windsor all-time track athlete is more than just the numbers, it’s also the hard work, discipline, and effort behind it. 

Pichay recounts what she thought about placing #2 all-time in the 100 meters.

Pullquote Photo

I’m proud of the improvement I’ve gained to be in the records, but I believe there’s still a lot I can work on and hope to do even better next season

— Junior Jaya Pichay

Being #2 all-time as a junior is an amazing accomplishment, and the sky truly is the limit considering what we have seen so far from Pichay. It truly has been great to see the showcase of pure track speed from these two to help lead the team in good fashion.