South Windsor residents pose for a photo while attending the 42nd Annual Strawberry Festival
Annual Strawberry Festival and Craft Fair
Eliza Blanchfield, Editor • June 10, 2024

On Saturday, June 8th, the South Windsor Republican Town Committee (SWRTC) hosted the 42nd annual Strawberry...

Gonzalez standing in front of a statue at USC and Coursey when he visited the U.K. last summer.
Seniors Travel Thousands of Miles for a Unique College Experience
Ethan Sands, Staff Writer • June 5, 2024

With the 2023-24 school year coming to a close, most seniors already know their plans for next year,...

Science Fair
Hana Moustafa, Izabella McKenna, and Ethan SandsJune 5, 2024

South Windsor High School Science Fair took place on Friday, May 24th. Freshman science students presented...

South Windsor Pops Concert
Gwen Giard, Staff Writer • June 4, 2024

Maura Fitzgerald at work as a South Windsor Town Councilor.
A New Addition, Feature Maura Fitzgerald
Emily Porter, Staff Writer • June 3, 2024

After sitting with a vacant seat for a while, Democrat Maura Fitzgerald was appointed to fill the South...

South Windsor, a town of amazing outdoor parks and facilities, proudly unveiled its latest gem – the Outdoor Fitness Center at Nevers Park.
New Outdoor Fitness Center
Hadi Memon, Staff Writer • June 3, 2024

South Windsor, a town of amazing outdoor parks and facilities, proudly unveiled its latest gem – the...

SWHS Seniors Celebrate a Casual Senior Reception

Seniors Riley Boyle, Katelyn Roux, and Samantha Grodovich pose for a photo after dinner.
Avery Pelczar

On Friday, May 17th, the class of 2024 attended their senior reception at the Marriott in Windsor, CT. 

Senior reception is more casual than a senior prom and was created for seniors to get a last school dance with their grade right before they graduate.  South Windsor is one of the only towns in the area that doesn’t have a senior prom.

The class of 2024 was very interested to see what reception would be like as it was the second time having it after Covid. 

“I wasn’t sure what to expect but I had a lot of fun with my friends and the food was good, I’m really glad I went,” senior Riley Boyle said.

There were appetizers such as cheese and crackers and vegetable spring rolls. For entrees there was a salad bar, pasta with sauce, and steak. For dessert there was a brownie bar that also included different flavors of cake, and most enjoyed the lemon one. Overall, the food was well received, especially the salad bar and brownie bar. 

Students line up for the appetizers in the lobby during Senior Reception. (Katelyn Roux)

A photo booth was available where attendees could wear props or hold signs and pose for a photo. They let you select a background, and you could print one each for your friends or send it to yourself digitally, which was very cool, and students were very very excited about that. 

At reception, girls wore long floral or solid color dresses, more casual than a prom dress. Spring colors were very popular to wear, as there was lots of light blue, yellow and pinks. Boys wore dress shirts and plants, popular colors for boys shirts were white, light blue or black. 

• Students stand in line at the drink station to get lemonade, soda, or fruit punch.

• Students walking in to the Reception at Marriott in Windsor.

• Students try on props for the photo booth with their friends.

After everyone sat down to eat dinner, the seniors took to the dance floor. This year, seniors were able to give song recommendations before the dance, which was a fun way to play music everyone enjoyed. A popular song everyone enjoyed dancing to was “Party in the USA” by Miley Cyrus. 

“My favorite part from Reception was singing and dancing on the dancefloor; I had a lot of fun with my friends and it will be a memory I will never forget,” senior Morgan Reed commented.