Should Prom Follow Juniors to Senior Year?

Prom+dresses+hang+on+display+ready+to+be+bought+by+those+in+attendance+of+the+annual+event.+
Mia Ruiz
Prom dresses hang on display ready to be bought by those in attendance of the annual event.

This poll has ended.

Should South Windsor High School Have a Senior Prom?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

When students finally reach high school, they endure three long years before their junior prom finally arrives. Most people dream of the night when they get to dress in formal attire, dance the night away with their friends, and create memories that will last a lifetime.

Unlike other high schools in Connecticut, South Windsor High School does not offer a senior prom. Instead, they offer a Senior Reception, which is similar, but does not hold the same magical ambiance. Although prom is costly, there should be one senior year.

SWHS class officers are responsible for the planning of prom, which consists of reserving a DJ, finding a venue, planning the food, and much more. Planning and preparing for prom is certainly a gruesome process that causes many to debate if it is worth it in the end. 

However, it is clear that during the high school years, prom is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that should be cherished.

Despite the spending and stressful excitement, senior prom is worth the hassle. 

On the other hand, prom is undeniably expensive, as the tickets are $90 – excluding costs from clothing, individual preparation, and transportation. Those who believe senior prom is unnecessary hold the argument that they simply do not want to spend money on yet another materialistic event. 

Not having a senior prom at South Windsor is beneficial because you do not have to go through the hassle of picking out another dress and paying all of the expenses. 

I’m not completely opposed to having a senior prom, but I don’t foresee any changes for our senior reception,” junior class officer Lauren Graham told The Prowl. “Some people love it and some hate it but at least with no senior prom you don’t have to buy another super expensive dress.”

In an article from USA Today, it was found that “the average teenager spends $600 on just junior prom alone,” taking into account the expenses of including hair, makeup, a dress, tickets, transportation, and more. 

“I do believe prom is worth the hassle,” junior Ava Lewis stated.

Overall, it is clear that the idea of senior prom is debated among students, however, the experience of having a senior prom outweighs the hassle of the event. If the school were to hold a senior prom, it should be solely based on the student’s collective willingness to relive the entire process again.