Track runner Shawn Baidoo running one of the relay races.
Boys Track Team Sprinting Through the Record Books
Nick Perez, Staff Writer • May 23, 2024

With many records broken this year, it was a very successful season.  The 2024 boys varsity team...

Track runner, senior Serena Thaker getting ready to run her event
Racing to New Heights
Nick Perez, Staff Writer • May 23, 2024

With the season coming to a close, anyone can see, when reviewing the girls track team, the stellar season...

World Summit
Brianna Sweeney, Staff Writer • May 23, 2024

World Summit is a current events debate presented by 9th grade history classes to expand students' knowledge...

Seniors Riley Boyle, Katelyn Roux, and Samantha Grodovich pose for a photo after dinner.
SWHS Seniors Celebrate a Casual Senior Reception
Katelyn Roux, Staff Writer • May 22, 2024

On Friday, May 17th, the class of 2024 attended their senior reception at the Marriott in Windsor, CT.  Senior...

Mrs. Wolff works with her student teacher during a child development class.
Mrs. Wolff Retiring
Annalyse McKenna, Staff Writer • May 22, 2024

South Windsor High School’s beloved child development and child care teacher, Mrs. Ann Wolff, is retiring...

Coach McDermott gathers with a couple of players at the mound during a pitching change.
‘Cats Win CCC East With Win Over Eagles
Eli Schwartzman, Web Manager • May 21, 2024

On Monday, May 21, the South Windsor High School baseball team hosted the East Catholic Eagles, winning...

A Successful Six Flags Trip

Students rode The Riddler rollercoaster at Six Flags after their music concert.
Erin Fang

On Friday, May 3, students of the music department departed from SWHS at 8:00 am to compete at a music festival in Westfield. Shortly after the festival ended, students headed to Six Flags and spent their afternoon there. 

These band, orchestra, and chorus students had started preparing for this festival since the beginning of the second semester, after the winter concerts ended. They put a lot of time into preparation in hopes of getting an award.

“I think the hardest piece for our band to get solid was Witching Hour,” freshman flutist Megan Sands said.

Although it was difficult at first, their hard work paid off, especially for Concert Choir when they won two trophies for their outstanding performance.

“The music festival was something I was really excited for, as I really love chorus. This was a chance to show how good we were, and in my opinion, we did really well. I gave my all to it,” freshman choir member, Dhanya Ramkumar, told The Prowl. “My friends and I got to spend some quality time together outside of school, which I am very grateful for as I only see them twice a week.” 

These additions continued an impressive 2023-24 year for the Choir department. With director Mr. Jereme Martineau at the helm, Choral Spectrum (the Competitive Show Choir), Treble Choir, and Concert Choir have all brought home hardware.

For some, Six Flags was an exhilarating experience and a great way to spend quality time with friends. 

On Friday, May 3, students from SWHS music department went to Six Flags. (Erin Fang)

“I have never been to Six Flags before, and it was so much fun, especially with my friends. I just loved the vibe,” freshman choir member, Aanya Shah, explained.

The chorus students were the first to arrive at the park at around noon. Orchestra and band students arrived around two hours later, and they were free to hang out until the award ceremony at 5:30 pm, which over 10 schools from across the state attended. 

For many, the park rides were the best part of the experience.

“The Harley Quinn is in fact my one and only favorite ride. We love you, Harley!” freshman trombone player, Nikshita Sree Ganesh Kumar, commented

As the year rounds to a close, the music department wraps up its performances aswell. While the band and orchestra have wrapped up official performances for the year, students still prepare to represent the music department in a variety of other performances across town. The choir department remains excited for there final performance of the year, as there Pops concerts take place on May 21 and 22nd, where they will bid farewell to the Class of 2024.

Overall, Friday’s music festival was a very positive experience for everyone, and they look forward to next year’s festival.