‘Cats Dominate Wethersfield Behind Edwards’ No-Hitter

Brayden Edwards delivers a pitch during the Bobcats 10-0 win over Wethersfield.
Eli Schwartzman

The South Windsor High School baseball team traveled to Wethersfield to take on the Eagles on Friday, April 19, coming away with a big victory powered by sophomore Brayden Edwards no-hitter through the five innings of play.

With the first inning underway, the Bobcats would hit into two quick outs, but junior Robert Wunsch would get the offense going with a base hit.

Senior Brian Garvey added on with a base knock of his own, followed by a walk to junior Justin Dittmar, loading the bases for fellow junior Sam Balducci.

Balducci, coming off a monster game versus New Britain, kept his hot streak going with a two-run double, scoring Wunsch and Garvey, while putting himself on second with Dittmar on third.

Junior Jake Palombizio brought in his class of 25’ teammates with a single.

Edwards got the ball for the Bobcats in the home half of the first and walked the leadoff man in four pitches, but responded by mowing down the next three batters he faced, a common theme for the rest of the game.

More big moments occurred for the Bobcats in the second inning. Edwards, Goulet, and Wunsch hit back-to-back-to-back doubles.

Garvey drove in a run on a sacrifice, sending the game to the bottom of the second frame with South Windsor up 7-0.

The ‘Cats outfield played a spectacular game. Edwards pitching, paired with the duo of seniors Tyler McLaughlin and Andrew Goulet’s stellar plays, kept the Wethersfield hit count to zero through the first few innings.

More hits from the top of the order by the Bobcats kept the lineup moving. Edwards scored on a Goulet single in the fourth. Dittmar and Balducci hit doubles, one after another, expanding the ‘Cats lead to 10.

I give my credit to my catcher Brian Garvey. He always works me and holds me to a higher standard, pushing me to be a better pitcher.

— Brayden Edwards

With two innings left, Edwards continued plowing down the Eagles. Wunsch made multiple plays at second to keep Wethersfield off the base path.

“Brayden shoved like always, and the bats were hot. We’re rolling and are ready for a rivalry game up next,” Wunsch said.

CIAC mercy rules resulted in the game being called after the fifth inning, thus meaning Edwards had achieved a no-hitter.

No Bobcat has accomplished such a feat since 2018, when the ‘Cats did it in a playoff game against Farmington. 

Edwards spoke to The Prowl following the game, “I feel like my last outing against RHAM carried and boosted my confidence going into today’s game.”

A feat like this calls for a big celebration, but with a team such as the Bobcats, locked in on a championship, the focus is immediately on to the next game.

South Windsor will be back in action against rivals Tolland Wednesday, April 24, looking to improve to 5-2 on the season.