Track runner, senior Serena Thaker getting ready to run her event
Racing to New Heights
Nick Perez, Staff Writer • May 23, 2024

With the season coming to a close, anyone can see, when reviewing the girls track team, the stellar season they had in the record books. This...

Coach McDermott gathers with a couple of players at the mound during a pitching change.
‘Cats Win CCC East With Win Over Eagles
Eli Schwartzman, Web Manager • May 21, 2024

On Monday, May 21, the South Windsor High School baseball team hosted the East Catholic Eagles, winning the contest 6-5 and securing their first...

SW Bobcat seniors talking pregame before taking on RHAM for senior night.
Bobcats Attack the CCC Tournament
Alec Dziuba and Luke TaylorMay 21, 2024

The boys will arrive at RHAM high school today at 4pm for a rematch versus RHAM, after not winning the matchup when the played them during the...

Girls tennis gives a pep talk before a home match.
On the Way to a Victory!
Jaelyn Salas, Staff Writer • May 21, 2024

The South Windsor girls tennis team has had a great season this year with a record of 13-1 and are expected to do well in the upcoming CCC conference...

Balducci’s Big Day Propels ‘Cats Over New Britain

Eli Schwartzman
Brian Garvey slides into second base during the Bobcats 13-0 win over New Britain.

On Wednesday, April 17, the South Windsor High School baseball team hosted the New Britain Hurricanes. A huge offensive outburst helped lead the Bobcats to a 13-0 victory. 

The game started with South Windsor senior Andrew Goulet on the mound, who retired the Hurricanes offense in order. The Bobcats got a runner into scoring position in the bottom half of the opening inning but couldn’t get him to the plate.

Goulet shut down New Britain again in the second inning, bringing up Brian Garvey to lead off the next half inning for the ‘Cats offense. On his 18th birthday, Garvey got plunked by the pitch, sending him to first base.

A wild pitch and a walk put two runners on for junior Sam Balducci. The lefty smoked the ball deep into right-center field, landing for a two run triple. Balducci came around to score on an infield single by junior Jake Palombizio. Sophomore Brayden Edwards hit Palombizio in on a double, followed by an RBI single by Goulet.

I felt pretty good. That was a good team win and a great confidence boost for everyone to get us back on the winning track.

— Sam Balducci

Junior Robert Wunsch followed with a single, putting runners on the corners.

Garvey stepped up again and delivered a base hit of his own to score Goulet.

The offensive outburst continued with Justin Dittmar knowing a base hit to score Garvey and Wunsch. 

Balducci stepped up again and put his barrel perfectly on the ball, lining his second triple of the inning and bringing Dittmar home to score. When it seemed almost over, another junior drove in a run for the ‘Cats. Jake Gombotz slapped a hit to bring in Balducci. 

The marathon of a second inning finally ended. South Windsor’s lead sat at 8-0.

“Everyone swung well and contributed today, which is huge going into a big game on Friday,” Brayden Edwards commented.

Goulet came out for the third inning, and, yet again, dominated the Hurricanes offense, keeping them scoreless. This outing was a huge bounce back for the reigning CCC all-conference player after his last start against Enfield.

The fourth inning brought even more offense for the Bobcats. Senior Tyler McLaughlin got the inning started with a walk, then came around and scored. Goulet, Wunsch, Garvey, and Dittmar all followed with runs of their own. The ‘Cats lead grew to 13-0 and would stand for the remainder of the game.

Following the game, Garvey spoke to The Prowl,  “Andrew Goulet filled up the zone all day and produced weak contact and easy outs. The offense was strong and we swung the bats well.”

Gombotz came in to pitch and close the game for South Windsor. The win brings the Bobcats to 3-2 on the season.

A trip to Wethersfield on Friday, April 19 is the next game on the schedule for the ‘Cats, looking to start a winning streak with their dominance over New Britain.