Track runner, senior Serena Thaker getting ready to run her event
Racing to New Heights
Nick Perez, Staff Writer • May 23, 2024

With the season coming to a close, anyone can see, when reviewing the girls track team, the stellar season they had in the record books. This...

Coach McDermott gathers with a couple of players at the mound during a pitching change.
‘Cats Win CCC East With Win Over Eagles
Eli Schwartzman, Web Manager • May 21, 2024

On Monday, May 21, the South Windsor High School baseball team hosted the East Catholic Eagles, winning the contest 6-5 and securing their first...

SW Bobcat seniors talking pregame before taking on RHAM for senior night.
Bobcats Attack the CCC Tournament
Alec Dziuba and Luke TaylorMay 21, 2024

The boys will arrive at RHAM high school today at 4pm for a rematch versus RHAM, after not winning the matchup when the played them during the...

Girls tennis gives a pep talk before a home match.
On the Way to a Victory!
Jaelyn Salas, Staff Writer • May 21, 2024

The South Windsor girls tennis team has had a great season this year with a record of 13-1 and are expected to do well in the upcoming CCC conference...

New Season, New Coach: Coach David LaPorte

Coach David LaPorte standing ready to begin his tenure as the SWHS Girls Lacrosse Coach.
Maria Verly

April 1st marks the start of a new season for the girls lacrosse team. This is not only important because it is the start of a new season, but it’s also the first game that they will have with their new coach, David LaPorte. 

With 40 years of experience in coaching, LaPorte has a passion for coaching. LaPorte is joining South Windsor from Ellington High School where he works with alternative education students and has previously coached girls soccer. He is a dedicated father of six children, and the proud owner of numerous pets, including chickens. He hopes to help the players on the South Windsor High School team to give back to their community by continuing the long-standing tradition of encouraging the players to coach and referee the youth program in town. 

“I love coaching lacrosse, especially girls lacrosse,” said Coach LaPorte. “There was no position opening, and I haven’t been coaching for about 10 years. So it was just a way to get me back at the game.”

After a 10 year break, Coach LaPorte is back and ready to make this the best season possible for the lacrosse team. Even though it is only his third week with the team, the girls are adjusting to his emphasis on conditioning and his focus on the concept of team, rather than each player’s individual talent.  

“I think they are a great bunch of girls, hardworking, highly motivated, and I think we are going to be pretty good,” LaPorte explained. “It’s going to be a really good year.”

Coach LaPorte on the sidelines with the girls lacrosse team at practice. (Maria Verly)

Coach LaPorte’s main goal is to help the team enjoy all the great things that come with the sport: the camaraderie, keeping fit, and helping to maintain good mental health. Coach has been checking in with the girls to see how they are doing mentally and physically daily.  Players have commented that Coach makes them feel comfortable and connects well with the team. 

In the first week of April alone, the girls lacrosse team will have three games. On Monday, the team played Hall on their home turf and won 11-7. Today, April 3rd, the team gears up to play East Catholic at home and feels confident that they will beat the Eagles, so they are already looking ahead to Farmington on April 9th for another home win.