Junior Robert Wunsch walks onto the mound during the Bobcats 10-0 victory over E.O. Smith
‘Cats Achieve Perfection; Win Fifth Straight Game
Eli Schwartzman, Web Manager • April 28, 2024

On Saturday, April 27, the South Windsor High School baseball team hosted Edwin O. Smith, winning the contest 10-0, and achieving the first known...

Pitching to Perfection
Avery Yelle and Jillian YelleApril 26, 2024

With the arrival of spring comes the beginning of a new season for the South Windsor Bobcats’ Softball team. After losing some key players...

Senior Connor Mahan walks off field during South Windsors win over Berlin.
Mid Season Madness
Luke Taylor, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

The boys lacrosse team is starting off the season 3-3.  Coming off of a 3 game win, Saturday April 13th, Tuesday, April 16th, and Thursday,...

The Bobcats getting ready to block a hit by Hall.
Boys Volleyball, Killing It
Erik Montes de Oca and Alex OuelletApril 25, 2024

The boy's volleyball team is doing well about halfway through the season. The team has a 6-1 record and is looking solid with 10 games remaining...

New Season, New Coach: Coach David LaPorte

Coach David LaPorte standing ready to begin his tenure as the SWHS Girls Lacrosse Coach.
Maria Verly

April 1st marks the start of a new season for the girls lacrosse team. This is not only important because it is the start of a new season, but it’s also the first game that they will have with their new coach, David LaPorte. 

With 40 years of experience in coaching, LaPorte has a passion for coaching. LaPorte is joining South Windsor from Ellington High School where he works with alternative education students and has previously coached girls soccer. He is a dedicated father of six children, and the proud owner of numerous pets, including chickens. He hopes to help the players on the South Windsor High School team to give back to their community by continuing the long-standing tradition of encouraging the players to coach and referee the youth program in town. 

“I love coaching lacrosse, especially girls lacrosse,” said Coach LaPorte. “There was no position opening, and I haven’t been coaching for about 10 years. So it was just a way to get me back at the game.”

After a 10 year break, Coach LaPorte is back and ready to make this the best season possible for the lacrosse team. Even though it is only his third week with the team, the girls are adjusting to his emphasis on conditioning and his focus on the concept of team, rather than each player’s individual talent.  

“I think they are a great bunch of girls, hardworking, highly motivated, and I think we are going to be pretty good,” LaPorte explained. “It’s going to be a really good year.”

Coach LaPorte on the sidelines with the girls lacrosse team at practice. (Maria Verly)

Coach LaPorte’s main goal is to help the team enjoy all the great things that come with the sport: the camaraderie, keeping fit, and helping to maintain good mental health. Coach has been checking in with the girls to see how they are doing mentally and physically daily.  Players have commented that Coach makes them feel comfortable and connects well with the team. 

In the first week of April alone, the girls lacrosse team will have three games. On Monday, the team played Hall on their home turf and won 11-7. Today, April 3rd, the team gears up to play East Catholic at home and feels confident that they will beat the Eagles, so they are already looking ahead to Farmington on April 9th for another home win.