Lacrosse Opening Night

All+ages+and+grade+levels+of+lacrosse+from+kindergarten+to+grade+12+participate+in+opening+day.+
Mrs. Quinn
All ages and grade levels of lacrosse from kindergarten to grade 12 participate in opening day.

On Wednesday, March 20, South Windsor hosted the annual Girls Lacrosse Opening Night at Timothy Edwards.

This event has been occurring for over a decade and is coordinated by Caitlin Cincotta, the director of the board. 

At this event, David Laporte, South Windsor High School’s new girls lacrosse coach was introduced.

This is a very important announcement for the lacrosse program since the certainty of a coach wasn’t official till three days before tryouts. 

On Opening Night, the girls participated in traditions like relay races and running through a bridge of high school students with their new teammates for the season.

Seniors of the high school team also introduced themselves to the younger girls, stating where they’re going to college and how long they’ve been playing for. 

“The impact of a league that focuses on more than just lacrosse skills but also prioritizes values such as teamwork, sportsmanship, and personal growth,” Cinotta said. 

High school players who are going to help out with the younger leagues went and played games with the girls for a little bit to get to know them.

“I’m glad for this night because it helped me get to know my new teammates and coaches”  7th grader Sonia Girouard commented. Girouard has been playing for two years and will be on the seniors’ lacrosse team for this upcoming season.

• Lacrosse players engage in a relay race in Timothy Edward’s gym.

Mrs. Quinn
  • Connecticut Valley Dental was present at opening day to fit lacrosse players with custom mouth guards.

Mrs. Quinn

Recreational lacrosse teams start practice this Sunday, March 24th, while high school teams have already started practice this week. Many players are excited for this season.

“I enjoy lacrosse because it teaches us how to work as a team,” Girouard said.

Many of the coaches and the directors hope that this event brings people in the community together and starts a lifelong love of lacrosse.

“We always hope to make Opening Night an event that players and families look forward to each year. It’s not just about starting the season, it’s about creating a space where players, coaches, and families can come together and celebrate the South Windsor Girls Lacrosse community,” Cincotta said.