Bobcat Baseball’s in Full Swing

Junior Robert Wunsch pitching against Stamford in the first round of the 2023 state playoffs.
Eli Schwartzman

When the calendar flips to spring, it can only mean one thing, the return of South Windsor High School baseball. The team is starting off with high expectations, which come fairly often, as last year’s team went on a surprise run to the state quarterfinals.

What makes the ‘Cats different from many teams in Connecticut is their returning players. Most teams will lose most of their key pieces after a strong season, like South Windsor had. However, the entire Bobcat starting rotation is back and better than ever. The pitching staff is headlined by senior Andrew Goulet, junior Robert Wunsch, and sophomore Brayden Edwards.

Last year’s squad started the year ranked 123rd in the state, but following a 15 win regular season, and a push to the state quarterfinals, the Bobcats finished the season as the 25th ranked team in Connecticut, moving up 98 spots.

Senior Andrew Goulet has high hopes for the upcoming season. “It feels good going into the season coming off of a winning year knowing that other teams have you on their radar as a contender,” Goulet commented.

Prior to last season, just making the playoffs was good enough. Entering the 2024 campaign, the ‘Cats making the state championship feels like a possibility, while still being a long shot, there’s no doubting what this team can do.

“The expectations are going to be high with the amount of success that we had last year. I’m expecting to do even better than last year with our 3 starting pitchers returning,” Robert Wunsch told The Prowl.

I honestly think that we have a high chance of making the State Championship

— Robert Wunsch

With so many returning players, the team chemistry is strong.

Sophomore Brayden Edwards spoke to The Prowl, stating that “We’ve played with one another for a long time; I’m very excited and confident going into this year, especially with all of our pitching returning.”

The Bobcats seem primed for a successful season. Featuring a strong lineup, and an even stronger rotation; it’ll be a tall task for opposing teams traveling to Rotary Field. South Windsor knows they have a target on their back, needing to play to their best to keep pace with last season, and exceed their already high expectations.