A Melodic Night

SWHS students performed Cabaret.
Understaffed giving the audience a strong, fun and enthusiastic performance.
Caitlin Waltos

Last night, on March 20th, the South Windsor High School auditorium came alive with music as three talented vocal groups, along with spotlight solos took the stage for an outstanding performance.

These groups consisted of the All-Women’s Acapella group (Treble Choir), the All-Men’s Acapella group (Understaffed), and the award winning Show Choir (Choral Spectrum). They all delighted the audience with their performances, showcasing their months of hard work, dedication, and talent.

The Treble Choir had started off the evening with singing the “Star Spangled Banner”. Afterwards they sang, “Stand By Me”, and “True Colors”; they were accompanied by Jeremiah Pancras as their percussionist. Ending their set, they did an amazing performance of their version of  “Lady Gaga Medley.” This had included very enthusiastic and strong soloists, including senior Manasa Puvvala, junior Saanvi Rao, sophomore Kaitlyn Roy and senior Anushri Sandeep.

The All-girls group Treble Choir right before they go on stage to sing.
(Caitlin Waltos)

“I feel like we definitely did great; I had an amazing time and being there with Treble makes it fun!” a singer in Treble Choir, Maya Benson, told The Prowl.

Appearing next were some of South Windsor High School’s very talented soloists. Starring in the first round of spotlight solos, senior Anthony Paschetto performed “I’m Yours.” Rao took the stage again, performing “From The Start.” Roy continued with “This Ain’t Goodbye”, and lastly Sandeep performed “Jiya Re.” 

Following the solos, Understaffed gave the audience a great performance. Performing only two, yet amazing songs, “Still of the Nite” with the outstanding soloist junior Tiernan Cabot, and ending their set with “Runaround Sue” which included soloists, junior Ethan Kim, junior Peter Nielson, and senior Advaith Satish.

On the second round of spotlight solos, the audience was delighted to hear the voices of Junior Aditi Verma, who sang “Rolling in the Deep”, sophomore Jasmine Kwarteng who had sung “Misty”, sophomore Riley Fraiser singing “Something in the Orange”, and lastly senior Manasa Puvvala who sang “Kannamma.”

Up next was the high powered Choral Spectrum, accompanied by Spectrum Band, and performed their 2024 competition show. Under the direction of Mr. Jereme Martineau

, and choreographed by Tori Brindis, this was a fun, enthusiastic, and entertaining set of songs with great choreography which ended the night with a bang!

Opening the curtain, we were delighted with the performance of “Dancin’ Like Nobody’ Watchin’ / More”, which had junior Nkailu Nsakala as this group’s first soloist. Following this song we heard “I Feel Like Dancing”, and “When You Wish Upon A Star”, starring junior Ava Mathew as a soloist. Lastly from this group we heard, “Love Yourself”, with the soloist senior Kaitlynn Pusztai, and “Dhoom Again/Dhoom Machale Dhoom” with soloists Cabot and Sandeep.

SWHS’s award winning show choir, Choral Spectrum, awaits the start of their competition set at the Cabaret Concert. (Lucy Graham)

This production would have not been able to be performed without their support and help of their strongly talented teacher and conductor, Mr. Martineau. Every year, he works hard to put on multiple show stopping performances for South Windsor to see. 

This outstanding performance by all groups builds momentum to their upcoming competitions. Their performances showcased everyone’s talent and dedication, which has inspired Choral Spectrum for their Saturday competition and Treble Choir and Understaffed for their competitions in later months.