Descending to Greatness
Keerthana Toram and Pooravi Srivastava April 22, 2024

Check out the exciting classes offered in the basement.

Tech education teacher and Bobcat Nation News advisor in front of the tool wall in the woodworking classroom.
SWHS's Jack of All Trades
Andrew Kronnenwetter, Staff Writer • April 22, 2024

Broadcast news, woodworking, and construction teacher, Mr. Joseph Jarvis has been a huge part of SWHS’ entertainment and news programs, giving...

Big Dawg Home Improvement
Annalyse McKenna, Staff Writer • April 19, 2024

Local business Big Dawg Home Improvements is a thriving business in the South Windsor community. This small business was started by a veteran,...

Barbara Eddy, ASL teacher in her classroom on the second floor.
Eddy Wraps up her Final Year Teaching at SWHS
Ethan Sands, Staff Writer • April 19, 2024

After nearly 20 years of service in the South Windsor School District, SWHS’s American Sign Language (ASL) teacher Barbara Eddy is retiring...

Two customers walking into the front of Mexicali located in South Windsor.
Mexicali Gives Back to the Community
Gwen Giard, Staff Writer • April 15, 2024

Opening in 2015, Mexicali has been the go-to Mexican restaurant for many South Windsor residents for almost 10 years. With a fun and family-oriented...

Choral Spectrum’s Superstar: Nkailu Nsakala

Marika Kraus
Junior student leader Nkailu Nsakala performs solo during opening number at Tantasqua Show Choir Spectacular.

South Windsor High School has a hidden gem, the award-winning show choir, Choral Spectrum, directed by Mr. Jereme Martineau, choreographed by Tori Brindis. A significant part of why the group is increasingly successful are their student leaders, who are changed with making sure everything is running smoothly. 

“I remember plenty of upperclassmen complimenting my talents as a freshman telling me I’d be even more amazing as a senior, and I held on to those words,” Nkaliu Nsakala stated during his discussion with The Prowl

Junior Nkailu Nsakala is one of Spectrum’s student leaders and is dedicated to helping members of the group become better. One of the key components to being a student leader is to run rehearsals, clean up choreography, run logistics on competition days, assist with costumes, etc. 

“I knew I wanted to be a student leader by the end of freshman year because I knew I had the potential to be a great asset to the group,” Nsakala explained.

Nsakala has known he loved dancing and singing from a young age. His talent speaks volumes when he is on stage, as one can see him pouring all of his energy into his craft.

As the consummate team player, even his fellow show choir members speak so highly of Nsakala and his performances. 

I knew I wanted to participate.

— junior Nkailu Nsakala

“He brings a positive attitude towards what we do, and his excitement for events is unmatched,” show choir member, junior Jillian Venzie stated. 

Nsakala first started off his career in middle school, while being a part of Timothy Edwards show choir, Spotlight.

Since then, he has been in Choral Spectrum all three years of high school and continues to find joy in performing.

When I tried out for Choral Spectrum in 8th grade, I did it mainly because I love to dance. I did Spotlight Show Choir in middle school, so when I learned about the Choral Spectrum auditions, I knew I wanted to participate.”

This is a great accomplishment for him especially to be a student leader as a junior. It shows how hard he works and how dedicated he is to making the group successful and growing his talent.