Super Bowl Fever Sweeps SWHS

Adam Albaghdadi
The most highly watched football game was held on Sunday, February 11th with millions watching the Chiefs take on the 49ers.

Super Bowl XLVIII took place on Sunday, February 11, 2024, between the San Francisco 49ers and the Kansas City Chiefs. The 49ers went into the game with a record of 12-5 while the Chiefs sat at 11-6.

The 49ers quarterback, Brock Purdy, was a talented college quarterback who played for the Iowa State Cyclones.

This is Purdy’s first Super Bowl appearance, and he is seeking revenge for his team for what happened in Super Bowl LIV where the Chiefs beat the 49ers 31-20.

The Chiefs quarterback, Patrick Mahomes played college football at Texas Tech University.

This is Mahomes’ 4th Super Bowl appearance and he is more confident than ever after his win against the Ravens 17-10.

Students from South Windsor High School had many thoughts about the Super Bowl and who they thought were going to win it. 

“49ers, I am just not a fan of the Chiefs at all, this has been statistically the worst year since the Mahomes era started yet they found their way to the Super Bowl. Plus the story of Purdy being the last pick in the draft to a franchise QB is inspiring,” junior Fadel Kafel said.

This year’s Super Bowl was a very intense game and could have gone either way. The game was scoreless through the first quarter, and in the 2nd quarter, Juan Jennings threw the ball to Christian McCaffrey on a trick play.

Later in the quarter, both teams got field goals leading to the halftime score of 10-3, with the 49ers winning. 

After the half the Chiefs made a touchdown and another field kick making the score 13-10 going into the 4th quarter with the Chiefs winning. 

During Quarter 4, the 49ers got another field goal and a touchdown, but missed the extra point which cost them the game tremendously. The Chiefs got 2 field kicks tying the game 19-19 and going into overtime. 

“I think if Jake Moody’s extra point was not blocked by the Chiefs, the 49ers would have won, that one play changed the whole game,” junior Nihaal Thakran said. 

During overtime, the 49ers started off with the ball, but were unable to get a touchdown, having to settle for a field kick with them leading 22-19. When Chiefs got possession, Mahomes passed to Mecole Hardman and won the Super Bowl 25-22.

The 49ers were favored to win it all and it looks like SWHS students really wanted the 49ers to take it home, but unfortunately Purdy couldn’t follow through. 

Anna Frey over Taylor Swift for the chip

— junior Arnav Thapa

Some students had many opinions on the amount of time Taylor Swift was on the news. 

“Yeah she is a celebrity, but they should be sticking to showing the game more than showing her, it’s annoying how much they show her,” said freshman Colton Flaherty. 

After a phenomenal performance from both teams, the Chiefs won their 4th Super Bowl and Patrick Mahomes received his 3rd Super Bowl ring.