Back-to-Back Wins Place ‘Cats Game Away From Playoffs

Eli Schwartzman
Bobcats celebrate their 57-41 win against Tolland in Monday’s game.

The Bobcats are coming off back-to-back wins this week, moving their record to 7-10 as they stare down their second to last home game. The ‘Cats have to win one more of their next 3 games in order to advance to the playoffs.

On February 5, the South Windsor Boys Basketball team played against their rival, Tolland. The final score was 57-41, with South Windsor taking home the win on their home turf. Co-Captain London King scored 31 points, had 11 rebounds and stole the ball 4 times against the Eagles. 

“I’m glad we were able to come away with a win against Tolland after losing to them earlier in the season. Everyone contributed to the win and everyone played their role to the best of their ability and it ended up getting us the win. I’m proud of the guys,” senior London King said.

Junior Tyler Pottinger had his first varsity start and scored 13 points and had 15 rebounds.

Junior Tyler Pottinger gets back onto defense after scoring a basket against Tolland. (Eli Schwartzman)

“I know I had a good game, but it wasn’t just me,” commented Pottinger. “My teammates set me up for every basket and every opportunity I had to make a change for the team.”

With the stands packed, fans were excited to see this rival game and what the outcome would be. 

The game started off with junior Ethan Burke scoring the first point. The Bobcats kept a good lead throughout the whole game. Halfway through the game, King was shoved in the face, which led to a nose bleed. However, he came back with a strong start after the incident and was resilient throughout the rest of the game. 

During half time, students and parents were able to get baked goods at a stand in the Hall of Achievements to help support the Black Students Alliance Club (BSA).

I’m proud of the guys

— London King

“The bake sale allows us to raise funds for that will go towards future events that we host, as well as field trips and support the club to help build stronger community together,” senior Lotachukwu Onyia said. 

After this win, the ‘Cats took on Libertas Academy in Mass on Tuesday, February 6th. South Windsor won 80-54. Joey Bemis scored 25 points and had 16 rebounds after being sick. Brayden Edwards had his first ‘double double’ with 12 points and 10 assists against the Lions. 

February 8th the Bobcats take on Rham High School home and need a win in order to clinch a spot in the state playoff tournament.

“If we want to get it done tonight, it all starts on the defensive end. We need a lot of effort”, said starting point guard, sophomore Brayden Edwards.