Bobcats Skate Past Eagles; Move One Game Away From Playoffs

Eli Schwartzman
The South Windsor High School hockey team talks things over with coaches during a timeout.

On Wednesday, January 31st, the South Windsor High School boys hockey team defeated Wethersfield by a final score of 3-2. 

The Bobcats traveled to the Newington Arena for their matchup with the Eagles, looking to end their four game losing streak. With the opening puck drop behind them, the two teams stalled on offense with little action aside from a penalty on South Windsor’s Logan Sherwood. With the sound of the horn, the teams headed to the locker rooms still tied at zero.

After heading back onto the ice, the ‘Cats would finally break through. Junior Mason Trombley would sneak in the puck behind the Wethersfield goalie, putting South Windsor in front 1-0. Trombleys’ sixth goal of the season would be the only one of the period; however, the third would bring a lot more action.

The Bobcats outplayed the Eagles with the top scorers as senior Luke Taylor, junior Mason Tromerle, and senior Max Plunske. Assists for these goals were given by Zach Morrison and Kevin Shover. 

The first goal of the final period would be scored by South Windsor senior Luke Taylor. The ‘Cats led by two, shutting down the Eagles offense all night, until Wethersfield finally slipped the puck past the Bobcats defense midway through the third to net their first goal of the contest. 

The boys got a gritty win over Wethersfield in a must win rivalry game. Coming off a couple tough losses, it was important to get back in the win column

— senior, Luke Taylor

While the Eagles were trying to steal the momentum, and possibly even the win, Bobcats’ senior Max Plunske silenced the crowd with a huge goal with just a few minutes to play. 

“Scoring the game winning goal was electric. I took the puck coast to coast, and I made my move and got the puck to the back of the net”, said Plunske. “I’m having fun. I’m taking it all in and trying our best to win”.

Wethersfield responded by pulling their goalie and with the sixth skater on the ice, pushed in another goal to cut the Bobcats lead to 3-2. 

Junior Noah Butler had his first start in the game in the position of left wing. Coach Rodman was looking for Butler to bring energy to the team at the start of the game. “It was pretty exciting. I was able to play more. I backchecked, which allowed my team to get the puck and go back up on offense”, said Butler. 

With just under a minute left in the game, the Eagles appeared as if they might tie up the game, but junior Noah Sampson made several key saves to hold on to the lead and leave with a huge victory. After the game, Sampson said “Everyone played well, from the defense to the forwards. The passes were smooth and everyone gave their full effort.”

Sampson added, “The game was an emotional one along with a must win game. Everyone knew that we needed this win to gain momentum going into February, as well as completing the sweep over Wethersfield.”

With the win over Wethersfield, the South Windsor boys hockey team now stands at 7-5, needing just one more win to clinch a second consecutive playoff berth. 

Having lost in the first round of the playoffs last year and for the past few years. “We are feeling more motivated than ever to outperform our past years,” said Morrison. “This win brings us even closer to winning the CCC tournament”.