SWHS Students Rec the Court

Erik Montes de Oca
The Warriors face The Kings during a Rec basketball game at Pleasant Valley Elementary School.

Rec basketball has moved to the forefront of South Windsor High School’s culture. This is because friends have the opportunity to be on different teams and play against each other, resulting in a relatively competitive atmosphere. Rec basketball also gives those who love the sport a chance to play, while not having the level of commitment needed for the school team.

Players register to play, and volunteer coaches then pick/draft teams based on a player’s “grade”.  A “grade” is provided to a player during the preliminary try-out sessions, where players go through some fundamental drills and scrimmages to test their skills.

On January 6th, the Rec basketball season officially started. You often hear people talking about it around school, making it quite obvious people are heavily involved. A handful of the school’s Rec players have even made an Instagram account dedicated to the league, giving different updates and making fun posts. On January 13th, the team nicknamed “The Kings” posted about themselves on the page, discussing their 17-75 loss.

One of the many positives about the Rec basketball organization is that it’s purely for fun, so even with a loss, teams acknowledge they’re just having fun with their friends. “I think it’s a really fun way to have some team bonding as friends, and spend time with friends,” said senior Ryan Rahman about his favorite part of Rec. 

So while you may think “The Kings” had a heartbreaking loss, in reality they now have something they can laugh about with their friends.

On the other hand “The Warriors” seem to be playing really well together, as Senior Oliver Durbois had 30 points against “The Kings”.  Durbois and his teammate, another Senior, Noah Marques both have some varsity experience, having played for our SWHS Bobcats in previous years. When Rehan Shaik-Hunday was asked about the skill level of the league, he explained, “Anyone can play, I mean there are some talented players in the league like Ollie, and the more average players.”

While Rec basketball may not have the same skill level our varsity games have, they definitely don’t lack heart, and if you want to check out a few games you can check into Pleasant Valley, or SWHS, on Saturdays until spring.