Featured Athlete: Nafissa Ly

Nafissa+Ly+cheering+at+the+Bobcats+senior+night+game+this+past+fall.+
Tiffany Castellon
Nafissa Ly cheering at the Bobcats’ senior night game this past fall.

Prowl: Why cheerleading?

Ly: “I do cheerleading because it’s a fun sport that I can do with my peers who I have known for a while in the community; I have been doing cheerleading for a while now. I enjoy cheer because I am able to feel passionate about what I do”.

Prowl: What is your favorite part of cheerleading?

Ly: “My favorite part of cheerleading is the stunts and the games. Stunting at games makes it very fun to be able to show off all of our progress throughout the season and show our growth and development in stunts, jumps, tumbling, and cheers.” 

Prowl: What is your position in cheerleading, and do you like it? 

Ly: “My position in cheerleading is being a backspot. A backspot is the person in the back of the stunt who holds the flyer’s ankles and pulls up the stunt from the back. I like being a backspot because I feel like I’m in control, and I have power in the stunt, being able to hold up the flier so the bases have less weight on their hands, and so if a stunt is falling I can save it by just the movement of my fingers.” 

Prowl: If you had one chance to be in a different position what position would it be?

Ly: “If I had one chance to be in a different position, I would still want to be a backspot just because I like feeling like I have control over the stunt, and I like being able to have power as a backspot.”

Prowl: If you had to define cheerleading how would you describe it?

Ly: “It’s a great sport to do because there are so many different aspects involved in cheer, and the family that you create in cheerleading makes cheerleading so much more fun, and it’s really all about having fun. 

Prowl: What inspires you to continue cheering?

Ly: “Definitely the people that you create bonds with.”

Prowl: Do you have a goal in cheerleading? If so, what is it?

Ly: “My goal is to become the best backspot I can be so my flyers can gain trust in me, and I’ll be able to catch them if they fall.”