Tenney Selected as All-State Player

Junior+Nathan+Tenney+gets+ready+for+the+next+play+in+a+game+earlier+this+season.+
Eli Schwartzman
Junior Nathan Tenney gets ready for the next play in a game earlier this season.

Nathan Tenney made the 91st Annual New Haven Register GameTimeCT All-State Football Second Team for offensive line. Regardless of class, the best of the best was chosen from across the state, making it a prestigious honor to be recognized for this accomplishment, especially as a junior. In addition to being recognized as a Class L All State Offensive Lineman, Tenney added Second Team All New Haven Register/GameTimeCT to his resume. Thus, GameTimeCT recognizes Tenney as a top ten offensive lineman in the state of Connecticut.

“It feels good; it feels like a big accomplishment, not many people make it,” said Tenney. 

The reporters who cover high school football for the New Haven Register and GameTimeCT compile the team. The New Haven Register has the most comprehensive coverage of high school football in the state and has been covering the sport for the past 91 years. The last time  South Windsor High School football players were recognized as All-State players was in 2017 with Dylan Hodge and Mohammed Azeem. 

It feels good; it feels like a big accomplishment, not many people make it.

— Nathan Tenney

Lead reporter at GameTimeCT, Sean Bowley, saw Tenney firsthand in the ‘Route Five Rivalry’ game against Enfield. 

The Bobcats are coming off of an incredible football season finishing 8-2 in the regular season and earning the 6th seed in the Class L playoffs, making it to the first round of the state tournament. Throughout the year, and in the playoff game against Maloney, whether you watched him in person or on film, Tenney proved he belonged to be mentioned with the best linemen in the state. As a dominant run blocker, he helped to pave the way for South Windsor’s run-first offense. 

With a winning season under his belt, Tenney is already looking ahead to next season. “Yeah, that’s the goal, that the goal next year is to win it all, that’s the goal every year,” Tenney told The Prowl.  

But Tenney doesn’t see his career ending at the high school level. He sees football in his future.

“I definitely want to play college football, ” explained Tenney. And, while he doesn’t know where he would like to compete in the future, he says he is looking at multiple schools at the moment.