Furniture and Fun for the Whole Family

Jordans+Furniture+opened+its+8th+store+location+at+West+Farms+mall.+
Emma Cherubini
Jordan’s Furniture opened its 8th store location at West Farms mall.

On December 15th, Jordan’s Furniture revealed their 8th store location to the public in the West Farms mall in Farmington, Connecticut. 

Starting from a small company in Waltham, Massachusetts, the Jordan’s Furniture enterprise has grown to a million dollar company over the span of almost 100 years. President Eliot Tatelman sold the company in 1999 to Berkshire Hathaway, though still holds the reins over the furniture corporation. Beginning by driving around a truck selling furniture to people, now opening its 8th store, the journey of growth has been a great success for Jordan’s. 

The process of opening this newest store took about 6-8 months in order to negotiate a deal to lease the building from the former department store Lord & Taylor. Much more planning and statistics went into finding the precise location. Looking in Avon, Simsbury, and even looking into building a brand new store from the ground up, the company settled upon the West Farms mall. This location will potentially bring in new customers, and passerbyers, from the mall. 

“We looked at the demographics of this area, the income level, and the demo of the area is really strong,” said President Eliot Tatelman, confirming that this area was one of the smartest choices to open in. 

The virtual tunnel inside the new Jordan’s Furniture at West Farms. (Emma Cherubini )

Jordan’s isn’t just a furniture store, it is also an experience for the whole family. With a virtual wall and tunnel display, along with New Haven’s own Sally’s Pizza opening inside the furniture store soon, it sets them apart from competitors in the area. 

“Our whole concept is that Jordan’s is an experience,” said Tatelman. 

Every Jordan’s has a special feature that brings the whole family together. Instead of just going in to shop for furniture, you can eat, watch a movie, or even participate in an IT ropes course featured in the New Haven location. 

Apart from being an experience, the mindset behind Jordan’s is that “furniture to us is fashion,” stated Tatelman. 

“If you went to one of our competitors, it’s a whole different feeling. The people there are standing there in suits, ‘what are you here for today?’ ‘What can I sell you?’. That’s about what they do. We are very different,” said Tatelman. 

Our whole concept is that Jordan’s is an experience.

— President of Jordan's Furniture, Eliot Tatelman

Jordan’s is a furniture store meant to make you feel excited about shopping, and in awe with the colorful displays and the beautiful rooms. It isn’t a stale feeling when you walk in there. The upbeat music and atmosphere, brought to you by every employee, creates a feeling that other competitors simply aren’t able to bring to the table. 

Jordan’s Furniture store has evolved over the years. With a 1 million square foot warehouse, about 90 trucks on the road, and their 8th store shows how successful this experience has been for the company, and for the customers who walk in everyday. Whether their reason is to buy a new couch, or to have a fun outing with the family, it’s a fun experience for the whole family.