South Windsor’s Magical Mailbox

Eliza Blanchfield
The magical Santa mailbox located in South Windsor’s Nevers Park where children can deliver their letters.

Every December in the small town of South Windsor, Santa places his jolly red mailbox at Nevers Park eagerly awaiting the letters that will soon flood the mailbox. Children of all ages can write a letter to Santa and receive a thoughtful note in response. 

South Windsor families are encouraged to participate in this program and spread the holiday cheer through their community. After the letters are delivered to the mailbox, South Windsor Parks and Recreation elves will make sure they get to the North Pole. Santa will respond with a personalized letter to each individual’s home.

This is a longstanding tradition in the South Windsor community and surrounding towns.

“We’ve been working with Santa on this program since 2016. That first year, Santa responded to 106 children in South Windsor (and even some surrounding towns); last year, he responded to 562 children,” Mailbox coordinator, Shelby Kosa, told The Prowl. 

Santa continues to receive more letters each year, spreading the tradition throughout Hartford County. 

The mailbox is a unique way to spread holiday joy and cheer to the children and families of South Windsor. 

There is nothing better than viewing the season through the eyes of a child, and we are so happy to play a small part in creating lasting memories for our community.

— Shelby Kosa

“There is nothing better than viewing the season through the eyes of a child, and we are so happy to play a small part in creating lasting memories for our community,” Kosa added. 

Many families look forward to this tradition each year as a way to kick off their holiday season with some seasonal magic. Children write of their favorite Christmas memories and excitement for Santa’s upcoming trip across the world on December 24th. They may include their wish lists as well, consisting of the items they hope to find under their tree on Christmas morning. 

“I like putting the letters in the mailbox. I am excited for Santa to write me back and put presents under the tree,” South Windsor resident, Hazel Wilson, commented. 

After their letters are placed in the mailbox, the children of South Windsor await Santa’s response as the Christmas countdown continues.