Wrestling Their Way to the Top

Coach+Knapp+giving+his+daily+pre-practice+speech+to+the+wrestling+team+in+the+rubber+room.+
Mrs. Quinn
Coach Knapp giving his daily pre-practice speech to the wrestling team in the rubber room.

The wrestling team is back this year with more potential than ever. With a plethora of new people joining the team, they are looking bigger and stronger. 

“We have a lot of new talent and a lot of returning wrestlers; a lot of them placed states, so we are coming, and we are ready. It’s looking good,” said returning junior Kyden Merlin. Merlin took second in the class L state championship last year, and he also took second at the state open championships. Thinking about his own role on the team this year, Merlin emphasized, “state champion 2024, Kyden Merlin, expect to see it; it’s coming, and I am coming fast”. 

Last year, junior Jacob Gordon placed third at the Class L state championships, qualifying him for the state open, and junior Jayshaun Barrett placed fifth in the Class L championship and also qualified for state open. Therefore, with many strong returning wrestlers who have previously placed well in tournaments, and with them having another year under their belt, there is an expectation that they will rise to the occasion and win some state champion titles this season. 

Despite beginning the year with an injury, returning junior Justin Dittmar is undeterred. “Well I started the year with a concussion, but I feel good going into the season. I feel like we have a lot of guys who are really solid and we can do pretty well this year,” Dittmar explained. 

The team has grown this year to around 40 wrestlers, which might be the largest the team has ever been, yet nearly half are brand new to the team and to wrestling. New members with tons of potential have joined, and by the end of the season, they may develop into some amazing wrestlers.

“Everyone that is starting out has gotten way better than they were the first day, so I think we are ready. The team has been working really hard,” said sophomore Xavier Maldonado who is new to the team this year.

There are also some great examples of first years rising to the occasion such as sophomore Holden Crane. Last year, Crane caused an upset during his first varsity appearance and won the match, cementing him as someone with a high ceiling and talent.

“There are a bunch of new people coming in, really excited about it. I think it is going to be a great season. I am feeling confident, very confident.” When asked about up and coming prospects and who fans should keep an eye out for, returning junior T.J. Cuddy explained, “I am excited about [newcomer] Mason Deciantis, and I think that he is going to have great potential”. 

Wrestling gives  you a lifetime bond with your teammates.

— sophomore Sophia Gordon

Newcomers to the sport can anticipate the benefits of being part of this team. “Wrestling gives  you a lifetime bond with your teammates. We are taught determination and that’s great because it’s a life skill that will help us succeed in life,” said returning sophomore Sophia Gordon who took 5th in girls states last year.

Practice has been looking good and the team is making sure to stay in shape for the start of the season which will officially kick off on Saturday at Manchester High School at 9:00am. For now, the team is making sure to fill their weight classes and decide who are the starting wrestlers.