A Shiny & Bright Start to the Holiday Season

• Award winning gingerbread house created by South Windsor resident sits at the entrance of the display.

• The Wood Memorial Library and Museum hosts their thirteenth annual gingerbread festival.

• A guessing activity sits near the displays giving visitors a variety of activities to do.

• Children completing their scavenger hunt as they make their way through the gingerbread festival.

• The Wood Memorial Library and Museum provides a raffle for the South Windsor residents to partake in.

• South Windsor community members make their way to the upper room where a display of hand-crafted products awaits them.

• A photo room is provided for families to kick off the holiday season with a family photo.

• Families fill the room observing the creatively crafted gingerbread houses.

• Handcrafted hats and scarves fill a table in the upper room of The Wood Memorial Library and Museum.

• A book arc decorated with tinsel is an eye-catching artifact within the festival.

On Friday, November 24th the Wood Memorial Library and Museum opened its doors to the public to host the 13th Annual Gingerbread Festival, a beloved town tradition that runs through the month of December.

The Gingerbread Festival is an interactive experience with guessing games, raffles, gift shops, and a scavenger hunt to complete. 

Thursday through Sunday, volunteers welcome the buoyant community members while offering them background information on the Wood Memorial Library and Museum’s history.

A book arc decorated with tinsel is an eye-catching artifact within the festival. (Eliza Blanchfield )

A donation bin is visible, encouraging contributions to the fundraising efforts that coincide with the Gingerbread Festival. A table spread with packaged goods and ticket boxes sits near the library entrance encouraging visitors to participate in the festival’s raffle. This major fundraiser allows the Wood Memorial Library and Museum to remain open and operational. 

Every Year South Windsor residents, clubs, and organizations volunteer their intricately designed gingerbread houses to be displayed for the public. The 2023 gingerbread houses are required to follow the theme of “Shiny and Bright” according to the Wood Memorial Library and Museum. 

It helps bring joy to the community members and kick off the holiday season with an enjoyable spirit.

— Meghan Foster

“It helps bring joy to the community members and kick off the holiday season with an enjoyable spirit,” South Windsor High School student volunteer, Meghan Foster, told The Prowl. 

The Wood Memorial Library and Museum provide over 50 crafters and artisans with the opportunity to turn a profit during the holiday season by offering them a spot at the “Ye Olde Gingerbread Shoppe”. Tables abundant with hand-crafted merchandise line the tables in the upper level of the festival. Many exit the Gingerbread Festival with a new hat, necklace, or candle in hand, clearly taking advantage of the unique items in a convenient location. 

“I enjoy the gingerbread houses, as well as the communities such as the 4H and the scouts who donate to their specific causes,” South Windsor resident Dorothy Hajek commented on the deeper meaning behind the display.

I enjoy the gingerbread houses, as well as the communities such as the 4H and the scouts who donate to their specific causes.

— Dorothy Hajek

The Gingerbread display is an event the South Windsor Community looks forward to year-round. It is a tradition many families attend as a cheerful way to start their holiday season. “I come to the event every year and enjoy the light positive beautiful aspects,” South Windsor Resident, Sarah Bedell, told The Prowl. 

Artistic professionals within the South Windsor community take the liberty of assigning awards to the gingerbread houses. Ranging from “Amazing use of color” to “Most intricately designed”, each award is an honor to those who are rewarded for their creative works. 

The Gingerbread Festival is open and available to the public until December 17th, 2023 providing ample time for South Windsor families to partake in a town tradition.