Featured Athlete- Hailey Deptula

Junior+Hailey+Deptula+walking+up+the++turf+field+during+a+game+with+a+field+hockey+stick+in+hand.+
Eli Schwartzman
Junior Hailey Deptula walking up the turf field during a game with a field hockey stick in hand.

Junior Hailey Deptula, is an accomplished student-athlete in field hockey and lacrosse. 

Deptula has been playing field hockey since 7th grade, starting for the Timothy Edwards Middle School team with her friends. Deptula hadn’t known what the sport was in 6th grade, but after persuasion from her friends, and having an interest in it, she decided to start playing. This is her 4th year playing field hockey for her school, transitioning from the middle school level to the high school varsity level in just a few years. 

I think it is a lot of fun to play and a great way to fill both my off-season from lacrosse and spend time with friends and teammates who I think are awesome.

— Hailey Deptula

“I think it is a lot of fun to play and a great way to fill both my off-season from lacrosse and spend time with friends and teammates who I think are awesome,” said Deptula. While she isn’t focused on lacrosse in her off-season, field hockey fills that void for her. It provides her with a daily workout and also a chance to bond with her teammates, some of whom also play lacrosse with her. 

She got a lot better at getting the ball into open space [for the team].

— Sarah Weiner

“She got a lot better at getting the ball into open space [for the team],” said sophomore Sarah Weiner, talking about one of the positive impacts Deptula has on The Girl’s Field Hockey team. 

The diversity in the application of athleticism between lacrosse and field hockey is an excellent dynamic for Deptula. Field hockey is played on the ground with a field hockey stick and the ball is always mainly on the ground. Compared to lacrosse, which is played in the air with a different type of stick, it’s a contrasting perspective for Deptula. Playing both sports during different seasons helps with her athletic ability for both sports. 

“My love for the two sports, I think field hockey is an amazing sport but I do love lacrosse…I just love the sport,” said Deptula talking about her ‘main’ sport lacrosse. She has recently committed to Siena College, a Division 1 school for lacrosse. She started her recruiting for lacrosse in 9th grade.

Deptula was sending emails and highlight reels as well as going to tournaments to promote herself to different colleges. It took a few schools reaching out to her for Deptula to find the one she loved. Siena College’s coaches, the school itself, and the atmosphere had sucked her in, and therefore she committed to play there once she graduates from South Windsor High School in 2025. 

Even though she still has some time until college, Deptula is looking forward to playing and is eager to start this next chapter in her athletic career. 

“I think my team is going to become my best friends and family, and the coaches are going to be like the team moms, and I think that it will just be a ton of fun…and add structure that has always been there in my life.” 

Considering how now, her teammates are some of her best friends and influential companions, Deptula predicts how her experience playing for Siena College will be in the future. She expects a positive experience, and an atmosphere that she can grow in and also learn in, as well as find her future lacrosse family. 

Even though Deptula is committed to playing lacrosse in the future, she still will always have a place for field hockey in her heart, and continue to play until she graduates from high school. She has found friendship, love, and motivation in the sport of field hockey as well as lacrosse, and is looking forward to her future in both sports.