The Legacy of SWHS Girls Volleyball

Kayla Bolling
The South Windsor Varsity Girls Volleyball team huddles around one another after a point.

The South Windsor High School Girls volleyball team wrapped up their official season on Monday, October 23rd, finishing with a successful close to the season. The Varsity, Junior Varsity, and Freshman teams won over East Catholic High School.

One of The Lady Bobcat’s goals this season was to create an environment where student-athletes thrived during their daily life.  Building connections with other students, while learning the skills of a team, and perseverance will set these girls apart from their peers. 

Their efforts throughout the season have developed them into strong female athletes while building unbreakable bonds with their teammates. Events such as visiting UCONN to watch a volleyball game as a team, supporting Dignity Grows by participating in community service, team pasta parties and pre-game spirit days developed a memorable season. 

The Lady Bobcats make an effort each year to celebrate the seniors’ final year with the volleyball program. Freshmen, sophomores, and juniors decorate the gym and cheer on the seniors while they put on an excellent performance. The rest of the team enthusiastically supported them from the sidelines. 

The most important part about senior night is celebrating the senior class and their accomplishments throughout the season.

— Junior Volleyball manager, Nkailu Nsakala

“The most important part about senior night is celebrating the senior class and their accomplishments throughout the season,” Junior Volleyball manager, Nkailu Nsakala, told The Prowl. 

In addition to the various traditions the volleyball program participates in each year, are the creative cheers The Junior Varsity and The Freshman teams create for The Varsity Players’ games. After each rally, students in the bleachers yell a cheer, specific to the play. 

These cheers encourage the varsity team during their serves, passes, sets, kills, and side-outs. No matter the score, the volleyball team keeps an upbeat energy on the sidelines, pushing The Varsity Team to persevere through any match. 

The Lady Bobcats finished their season as the 10th seed of the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference state tournament, setting themselves up for a victorious run in the state tournament. During the final games of the season, The Bobcats will maintain their legacy through the values instilled in them. 

“I will miss the people and culture we have created and passed on through the years,” said senior tri-captain Sidney Montana.