Bobcats Pounce on the River Hawks

Eli Schwartzman
The South Windsor High School football team gathers together after their 28-12 win against Farmington

Friday, October 6th, the South Windsor High School football team traveled into Farmington to take on the River Hawks. The battle between the pair of 2-1 teams was full of lights and cameras, as it was selected as the game of the week by Channel 3 news.

While most people were still settling into their seats, South Windsors’ Logan Sherwood, a running back, broke free for a huge 55 yard touchdown run, putting the Bobcats ahead early.

Both offenses fell silent through the middle part of the game. Neither team was able to find the end zone until past the halftime stoppage, when Farmington broke through, making it a 7-6 game after missing the extra point attempt.

This one point affair didn’t stand long as South Windsors’ quarterback, Mitch Chaves, took the snap and darted through the heart of the line, taking it all the way for a 56 yard touchdown to tack onto the Bobcats lead.

After the defense shut down the River Hawks, Chaves would find a hole for a 51 yard march down to the Farmington 1 yard line. He was then able to punch it in for his second touchdown in a matter of a few minutes putting the Bobcats ahead 21-6.

It was a team effort and we all got the job done. The o-line and Mitch balled out and did their thing. We made some small mistakes but we’re going to get better and now we’re onto E.O.

— Logan Sherwood

The River Hawks were able to strike back with a touchdown pass but on the ensuing kickoff, Sherwood caught the ball at the Bobcats 20 yard line, sprinted forwards, cut right, and found the open hole. Sprinting through, he took the ball 80 yards to the end zone for a touchdown, giving him a pair of end zone trips on the day, while also putting the Bobcats up 28-14.

Junior and spectator Jalen Canales told The Prowl, “It was a very fun game to watch and I felt like South Windsor was always in the lead and we just outplayed them.”

When asked post-game how the game went, South Windsors’ defensive coordinator Kevin Quinn said, “We didn’t play great…but it still was a good win.”

When the final whistle blew, the Bobcats had won by a score of 28-14, improving their record to 3-1 and in second place in tier 3 Central Connecticut Conference standings. The ‘Cats will look to extend their winning streak to four when they battle E.O. Smith at 4:45 on Wednesday, October 14th, at the Bobcats home turf.

View Comments (1)