South Windsor Digs Pink

Eli Schwartzman
The lady bobcats huddle at center court to discuss the previous point.

Thursday, October 5th, was the South Windsor High School Dig Pink game, hosted by the girls’ volleyball program. Raffles, baked goods, and entertainment from the volleyball teams showcasing their abilities drew a strong crowd in the stands. 

Pink Out games are events fall sports athletes look forward to each year. Starting the festivities early, players wear their pink jerseys throughout the school day, raising awareness for the game. 

After classes, the athletes and coaching staff arrive hours before the game, getting a headstart on decorating the gym. Balloons, streamers, and posters dedicated to cancer patients line the walls, all colored in pink.  

Parents and players also prepared baked goods and other goodies prior to the game. Cookies, brownies, and other treats filled the concession tables as fans arrived at the game. The profit made from the raffles and bake sale were put towards funding breast cancer research. 

I love seeing everyone support breast cancer fighters in a fun way

— Sophomore Grace Monahan

The Pink Out game this year was a match between the South Windsor Bobcats and the Farmington River Hawks. Despite the hard work, the Lady Bobcats were not able to secure a victory over Farmington.

Although the Bobcats were unlucky on the court, their efforts were tremendous throughout the night. Cheering echoed from the sidelines and on the court as the players played each set. The athletes knew they were playing for more than simply a win.

The South Windsor High School varsity volleyball players congratulate one another on a successful play. (Eli Schwartzman)

“It is very important for athletes to show support and raise awareness of breast cancer every October,” Allison Stengal, a sophomore JV player, said. 

Raffle winners were called between sets, and the lucky winners claimed their prizes. As the event came to a close, the athletes and coaches thanked the fans for their support throughout the night. The Lady Bobcats will continue to push through the final third of their season, hoping to make a strong run come the CIAC State Tournament