Bobcat Football is Back

Eli Schwartzman
The South Windsor High School football team gathers together before their scrimmage against Hartford Public High School on Wednesday, August 23rd.

The South Windsor High School football team played Hartford Public High School in a preseason scrimmage on Wednesday, August 23rd. The Bobcats have been getting ready for the season all summer, but this was the first game-like experience thus far.

“We felt good today. Everything went smoothly for the most part and I’m just looking forward to a great season,” said sophomore, Ryan LaGuardia.

We felt good today. Everything went smoothly for the most part and I’m just looking forward to a great season

— Ryan LaGuardia

Senior quarterback, Mitch Chaves, was on fire, throwing a pair of touchdown passes to fellow seniors Luis DeJesus and Joey Bemis. Chaves made a couple of strong throws and made some slick moves to get by defenders on a few good rushes.

Sophomore Isaac Gerber tacked in a touchdown of his own. Gerber broke free from the defense and cruised into the endzone, marking South Windsor’s third and final touchdown of the game.

A few members of the class that graduated from South Windsor just a few months ago stopped by the game to see friends and watch how the team was shaping up.

“Team looks good. A lot of younger siblings on the team and just people growing up mad fast. It only goes faster when you get older,” said Mike Foran, former SWHS student and football player.

The rules for this game were different, and included only using half the field, no hitting the quarterback, and 10 plays before switching sides of the football. While these regulations may seem odd, they were the best option for just a scrimmage, along with the Bobcats not wanting any injuries going into their National Guard camp that starts on the 24th.

When the refs blew the final whistle, the Bobcats had defeated the Owls by a score of 21 to 7. This scrimmage gives a good start for the South Windsor Bobcats, who are hoping to have a winning 2023 season.

View Comments (1)