Coach Duclos: Empowering Young Women For Decades

Coach+Ed+Duclos+Jr.%28right%29+with+his+father+and+mentor+in+2015.+

Olivia Liegl

Coach Ed Duclos Jr.(right) with his father and mentor in 2015.

The lacrosse programs in South Windsor are known for being some of the best in the county. Their fun and effective nature is something that has drawn many players toward the sport. However, this positive atmosphere would be nothing without its cultivation by head lacrosse coach Ed Duclos. 

Coaching for over 30 years, Duclos began his career in football at South Windsor High School back in 1979. Shortly thereafter, he transitioned to coaching girls lacrosse and the rest is history. When discussing the girls lacrosse programs in South Windsor, Coach Duclos elaborated on the connection between the town and high school teams.

“The girl’s lacrosse program is a K-12 program. What that means is that the youth and high school are connected. Many of the high school players coach at the younger ranks. We often have joint practices with the younger teams.” 

Coach Duclos explained, “K-2nd grade is our in-house program, third and 4th are the bantams. 5-6th are the juniors, and the 7th-8th are the seniors.”

Involved in all aspects of these programs, Coach Duclos works with players as young as 5 up through age 18. Having the opportunity to coach players who have later gone on to play at the collegiate level such as Maliya Haddock from SWHS class of 2022 who is currently playing D1 at Iona University. 

Although his players going on to play in college is amazing, for him, it’s more of a cherry on top. His priority is not cultivating college-level athletes but rather strong and independent young women. 

For me, the wonderful thing about sports is that it has the potential to change lives.

— Coach Duclos

“For me, the wonderful thing about sports is that it has the potential to change lives, not necessarily just in sports. It teaches all those positive life skills you want, resilience, you get knocked down, you get back up again, you fail, you try again. Those kinds of things, teamwork. for young  females, I see that it’s just so empowering to start to nurture a voice to nurture taking control of your life.” 

Coach Duclos has been, and always will be, an advocate for young women using their voices and empowering one another.

“I always get a kick out of when a parent says, well, she’s not good at that, and I go yet; she will get better. And then to see these young women stand up and be these amazing leaders. We have players like senior captains Olivia Mogor and Kaylie Gurrera, our senior class steps up, as well as the juniors and sophomores developing their voice.”

We have players like seniors Olivia Mogor and Kaylie Gurrera, our senior class steps up, as well as the juniors and sophomores developing their voice.

— Coach Duclos

Though many may assume that the reason he’s remained so involved in these programs is because of his passion for lacrosse, Coach Duclos feels rather indifferent to sports themselves. “I’m not passionate about lacrosse. When you think about sports they’re kinda stupid, all we do is put a ball in the back of a goal, again it comes back to life skills.” 

What he prioritizes and is passionate about is cultivating “Young women who are gonna grow through sports and eventually change the world”. 

Though many years have passed, Coach Duclos still remembers coaching his first match decades ago. In regards to coaching over the decades, he questions, “Over the years have players changed? Sure, because generations and the world changes.”  

Coach Duclos’s remarkable resume and dedication to the teams in South Windsor is inspiring to players and students all over this school district and beyond. Though it hasn’t been easy all these years, Coach Duclos reiterates that he and his peers get to  “work with some of the greatest kids”.