NBA Legend Kobe Bryant Dies in Helicopter Crash, Along with 13-year-old Daughter

The+Ringer

The Ringer

Josh Hobbs, Editor

The entire world lost an icon last Sunday when NBA legend, Kobe Bryant, was killed in a helicopter crash in California. Bryant’s 13-year-old daughter was also killed in the crash, along with seven others. Even though the tragedy is a few days in the past, the heartbreak is still prominent, with seemingly the entire world mourns the death of not only one of the greatest basketball players of all time, but one of the biggest global idols we have ever seen. 

Kobe Bryant enjoyed one of the greatest basketball careers in NBA history. Bryant was drafted right out of high school in 1996 with the 13th overall pick by the Charlotte Hornets, but was traded to the Los Angeles Lakers on draft night. He was a five-time NBA champion, a two-time NBA Finals MVP and the 2008 MVP. The 18-time All Star retired in 2016 after 20 seasons in the league, all with the Lakers.

“He was a fierce competitor, one of the greats of the game and a creative force,” said fellow NBA icon Michael Jordan.

While Kobe will always be remembered for his greatness on the court, what made him so inspiring was his achievements off the court as well. Kobe was known for his numerous talents, such as knowing how to speak 6 different languages, winning an Oscar for his work in short films, or being admired for his work as a father. 

“For 20 seasons, Kobe showed us what is possible when remarkable talent blends with an absolute devotion to winning,” NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said in a statement. “… But he will be remembered most for inspiring people around the world to pick up a basketball and compete to the very best of their ability. He was generous with the wisdom he acquired and saw it as his mission to share it with future generations of players, taking special delight in passing down his love of the game to Gianna.”

People all around the world have paid their tributes to the legend. From crowds huddled around Staples Center, to hundreds of athletes paying their respects through social media. The death of Kobe has left a deep sadness, that will never be forgotten.