SWHS Girls Volleyball Summary

The Girls Volleyball team huddles up after a point at Enfield High School

Caitlin Sze, Writer

Taking an overwhelming defeat from Saint Joseph, the South Windsor High School Girls Volleyball team was defeated, after playing hard and taking the game to a fifth set score of 15-13. Despite the seventh-seeded team suffering a first-round loss in the tournament, they had a great season overall, with many memories that have been made. 

Junior Mary Grace Goodale says that this volleyball season was very exciting and thrilling. “The comradery was enjoyable and I had a great time with the girls on the team.” Goodale plays the position of outside hitter.  Senior and captain Jia Yazon, who played the position of libero was a key player and asset for the team. Yazon’s favorite event of the season was their Dig Pink game, in which the teammates dressed up in pink while raising money for cancer awareness. 

Senior and Captain Aiden Castle tells us that the team was fairly easy to lead and, “the most exciting part of the season would definitely be playing games because it was exhilarating.” 

Castle plays the position of middle blocker. For the athletes of the Volleyball Team, it was nice to see people show up to the games and as well as illuminate support for the team. It gave them more confidence knowing that people showed up to cheer on the team. Outside of school, both Castle and Yazon participate in volleyball outside of school. 

Looking at another Senior and captain, Katrina Doherty, she particularly liked playing away at East Catholic. “We managed to win dominantly in three sets for the second consecutive years, and it was such a nice feeling to get a win over a team playing at their turf, especially with the crowd on their side.” The team played extraordinarily well and everyone was happy with the outcome of the game. Doherty plays the setter in which she sets the ball up for an attack. 

Their overall record throughout the season was 16-4, a record that all the captains were proud of. Although the gameplay was not to their liking, they were happy with how the majority of the season went overall, with no regrets about how the season went.