A Turnaround to Talk About

The South Windsor High School Softball team lining up before winning 13-7 and securing a spot in the 2024 state playoffs.
Caitlin Waltos

The South Windsor High School softball team has been making waves in the local sports scene with their impressive performances recently. The team’s dedication, hard work, and cohesive play have been key factors in their success, drawing attention from both fans and competitors.

As the season wraps up for the softball team, the success they have achieved can’t be buried. Adding 7 wins to their total last year, the team qualified for the States tournament as a 22nd seed. Despite an early round exit in the tournament against the 11th seeded Glastonbury Guardians, the stellar season will always be looked back on fondly.

Despite a 0-4 start to the year, the Lady ‘Cats found their footing in the middle of April, winning 7 of 9 through the stretch.  This momentum catapulted them into a fierce competition in the CIAC standings, and as hope started to build the team began to grow. Several players stepped up, including seniors Taylor Nisyrios and Gabby Ryan, challenging the opposition with their depth. 

It was a little rough for us as a team to come together at the beginning of the season, but we got better. I couldn’t ask for a better senior year.

— senior captain Taylor Nisyrios

This run driving ability was put on full display on April 27, when the team put up 23 runs on Avon. Outside of that game, the Lady ‘Cats scored over 10 runs in 7 wins throughout the season, as their defense held strong with both outfielders and infielders consistently making plays. “I think we worked really well as a team, and the fact that we went from a rough season to making the state tournament is a big accomplishment that we should be proud of,” Ryan told The Prowl prior to their states match-up. 

In addition to their on-field success, the team’s positive spirit has been very evident. Led by coach Lori-ann Nisyrios, an environment where teamwork and mutual respect thrives is made apparent, leading to another factor that has led to the strong end of the season. Her strategic insights, softball knowledge, and ability to motivate the players can not be understated when discussing the season for the Lady ‘Cats.

“This year I have seen so much rise in the players that have made us a stronger team. Although we may have suffered some losses, we don’t let it get to our heads and keep playing with passion and determination,” Caitlin Waltos, senior and manager of the team, commented.

Senior Gabby Ryan, pitching on the UCONN Division 1 diamond.
(Caitlin Waltos)

While the season ends, the team has repeatedly risen to the occasion over the last year. Whether it was close games with top ranked teams, or overcoming odds, the team has shown the grit and determination that makes them special. The ability to stay focused under pressure has by far been a defining characteristic of their play. “I am most proud of how our team didn’t give up when we lost the games that we shouldn’t have and that didn’t stop us from pushing through for the rest of the season. We gave it our all,” Taylor Nisyrios explained.

Despite the 3 run loss the softball team took on May 28th, the team still holds their heads high. Both the improvement and resilience shown throughout the year has been impressive. Although Ryan and Taylor Nisyrios will be missed, the younger members of the team are ready to carry the momentum of this season into the next.  

In the end, the Lady ‘Cats wrap up an exceptional year of play. With skilled players, brilliant coaching, and an unwavering team spirit that they hope to carry into the future, the team and the South Windsor community are excited to see where they will go from here.