Boys Track Team Sprinting Through the Record Books

Track+runner+Shawn+Baidoo+running+one+of+the+relay+races.+
Kayla Bolling
Track runner Shawn Baidoo running one of the relay races.

With many records broken this year, it was a very successful season. 

The 2024 boys varsity team managed to topple their records completely. The school 100-meter record was broken 3 times this year by Lloyd Boateng, Shawn Baidoo, and Ethan Burke.

To do this they had to beat the 11.09 mark. Boateng ran a 10.74; Burke ran a 10.84, and Baidoo ran an 11.04. Also, an honorable mention goes to Luis DeJesus coming in at #6 all-time with a time of 11.14.

These marks are very impressive from any track standard standpoint because this qualifies all of them for states as well as nationals.

“It’s had a lot of ups and downs” Boateng commented about the fast pace of the season. “It feels good, but I’m not satisfied at all.”

With the meets that approach, the sky truly is the limit for how well this trio can do.

For the 200m dash, Baidoo is now first all-time with a time of 22.24 beating the previous record of 22.62 set by Ryan Taylor in 2014. This year, Baidoo also has placed himself as #2 all-time in the 400m with a time of 51.54. 

What Boateng has done running in the 100m is stunning considering he has placed himself in the top 3 all-time of the 100 meters, 200 meters, and 400 meters.

“I’m going to come back better and faster for the next season.”

— Shawn Baidoo

Whether or not Baidoo runs again next year, this year should be remembered as a historic run. 

“It’s great to know because I’m only a junior and have a lot of room to improve,” Burke said about his personal track experience this year. 

“I think the track is good for anyone who plays other sports in the fall and winter. You’re able to practice speed and explosiveness which can only help with the other sports.” 

It’s safe to say that the boys’ sprinting for greatness is not something that will be forgotten for decades to come.