‘Cats Achieve Perfection; Win Fifth Straight Game

Junior Robert Wunsch walks onto the mound during the Bobcats 10-0 victory over E.O. Smith.
Eli Schwartzman

On Saturday, April 27, the South Windsor High School baseball team hosted Edwin O. Smith, winning the contest 10-0, and achieving the first known perfect game in Bobcats history.

The game began with junior Robert Wunsch on the mound. Wunsch hasn’t pitched since injuring his elbow two weeks ago on April 13, in a heartbreaking 3-2 loss to East Lyme. However, the reigning all-conference player did not miss a beat.

Wunsch dominated the Panthers lineup, setting them down with ease in the first inning. The bottom of the first saw the ‘Cats get their first two batters on base, but were unable to bring any runners to the plate, ending the opening inning still tied at zero.

E.O. Smith batters continued to swing and miss in the top of the second, leading into the bottom half of the inning. With one out, junior Sam Balducci lined a base hit, followed by a walk to senior Ryan Fischer. Both runners then advanced to second and third on a groundout, before a pitch in the dirt that would score Balducci. 

Fischer scored soon after on another pitch that would get by the Panthers catcher. Not long after, senior Tyler McLaughlin would bring in another run on a third wild pitch of the same inning. The ‘Cats left the second with a 3-0 lead.

Being given a pitch limit, Wunsch would end his day after the third, where he delivered even more K’s to the lifeless E.O. Smith lineup. Wunsch officially ended his day with no hits, no walks, no runs, and seven strikeouts.

Despite his day on the mound being over, Wunsch would lead off the third with a double. Unfortunately, he’d be stranded on second to end the inning.

We’re rolling and ready for Farmington on Monday trying to clinch an early playoff berth

— junior Robert Wunsch

South Windsor called on Junior Jake Gombotz to come in out of relief, where he’d continue the theme of dominating the Panthers, leading to the home half of the fourth. “We played well. We came out strong and ended things early,” Gombotz stated.

Junior Jake Palombizio had a pinch-hit walk, followed with a single from sophomore Brayden Edwards.

Two batters later, Wunsch stepped up to bat and clobbered a two-run triple. The ‘Cats were now ahead by five.

An offensive explosion occurred in the bottom of the fifth for the home squad. Fischer would reach first to start the inning. Sophomore Aiden Jackson would then leg out an infield single. McLaughlin reached first safely after he hit a slow roller back to the mound that was fumbled by the Panthers pitcher.

With the bases loaded and just one out, Edwards stepped up and smacked a double to score Fischer and Jackson. Then, senior Andrew Goulet singled to score Edwards and McLaughlin. Wunsch got up and again, put his barrel on the ball, mashing his third extra-base hit of the contest.

Goulet scoring made it 10-0, resulting in the CIAC run rule, ending the game after the double. 

“Both our pitchers were accurate and our defense made the plays when we had the opportunity,” Goulet said.

With that, the ‘Cats officially secured a perfect game, considered one of, if not the hardest feats in all of baseball.

Following the game, Wunsch spoke to The Prowl, “The bats were shaky at the start but they got hot and mercied them in five innings. The defense played great today.”

A home game against Farmington next Monday is the first of three back-to-back-to-back games for South Windsor, looking to keep their win streak alive.