Track runner, senior Serena Thaker getting ready to run her event
Racing to New Heights
Nick Perez, Staff Writer • May 23, 2024

With the season coming to a close, anyone can see, when reviewing the girls track team, the stellar season they had in the record books. This...

Coach McDermott gathers with a couple of players at the mound during a pitching change.
‘Cats Win CCC East With Win Over Eagles
Eli Schwartzman, Web Manager • May 21, 2024

On Monday, May 21, the South Windsor High School baseball team hosted the East Catholic Eagles, winning the contest 6-5 and securing their first...

SW Bobcat seniors talking pregame before taking on RHAM for senior night.
Bobcats Attack the CCC Tournament
Alec Dziuba and Luke TaylorMay 21, 2024

The boys will arrive at RHAM high school today at 4pm for a rematch versus RHAM, after not winning the matchup when the played them during the...

Girls tennis gives a pep talk before a home match.
On the Way to a Victory!
Jaelyn Salas, Staff Writer • May 21, 2024

The South Windsor girls tennis team has had a great season this year with a record of 13-1 and are expected to do well in the upcoming CCC conference...

Featured Athlete: Catherine Downes

SWHS+Senior+goalkeeper+Catherine+Downes+catches+a+save+and+is+about+to+clear+the+ball.+
Catherine Downes
SWHS Senior goalkeeper Catherine Downes catches a save and is about to clear the ball.

With the girls lacrosse 2024 season starting up, senior goalkeeper Catherine Downes is excited to see what the season has in store for the Lady Bobcats. 

Even though it was difficult to find a coach for the girls team, tryouts finally wrapped up, and a coach was found, Coach LaPorte. The first game was completed at the beginning of the month, providing a jumping off point for the Lady Bobcats to cradle and check into a good season.

“Even though the beginning of the season was a little hectic. We’ve really pulled it together, and we have a great team and a lot of really good players; I’m so excited to see how this season plays out, and make it a fun senior season,”  commented Catherine Downes.

Downes is a strong goalie, as she served as both a leader on and off the field during her junior year, and the team is very lucky to have her. The start of a new season breeds new hope in the hearts of all the players, and with someone like Downes heading the charge, the girls lacrosse team couldn’t be more ready. 

While excited for her senior year, Downes is also prepared for her next step. She is currently committed to Stetson University, located in DeLand Florida, to continue both her academic and athletic career. The program allows Downes to play lacrosse collegiately at the division 1 level, as well as providing her intended major of political science under the Florida sun.

It has always been a dream of Downes to continue playing in college, and that dream is slowly becoming reality. 

“I’m just grateful that I get to continue to play my sport for four more years after high school, and I’m excited for a higher and more challenging level of play,” explained Downes, as she looks ahead.

I’m so proud that she is making her dreams come true

— senior Morgan Reed

Not only is she amazing on the field, but she is also beloved by her teammates, coaches and community for her personality and spirit. One of those teammates, senior Morgan Reed, has been playing lacrosse alongside Downes for a decade and can’t believe it’s their last season together.

“Catherine is one of my best friends on and off the field; she is a great goalie, and I love playing with her,” commented Reed, who discussed the future D1 athlete’s impact

Although they will be split up next year, as Reed plans to stay closer to home, the duo hopes to stay in touch and remain close friends. “I’m so proud that she is making her dreams come true, and I can’t wait to see what she accomplishes,” Reed said.

The future Hatter remains ready to tackle both the high school and collegiate landscape, and is excited to adventure out into the future. No matter what way the season goes, her leadership at goal will keep her legacy shining through as the Lady Bobcats hope to march into a successful season.