Junior Robert Wunsch walks onto the mound during the Bobcats 10-0 victory over E.O. Smith
‘Cats Achieve Perfection; Win Fifth Straight Game
Eli Schwartzman, Web Manager • April 28, 2024

On Saturday, April 27, the South Windsor High School baseball team hosted Edwin O. Smith, winning the contest 10-0, and achieving the first known...

Pitching to Perfection
Avery Yelle and Jillian YelleApril 26, 2024

With the arrival of spring comes the beginning of a new season for the South Windsor Bobcats’ Softball team. After losing some key players...

Senior Connor Mahan walks off field during South Windsors win over Berlin.
Mid Season Madness
Luke Taylor, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

The boys lacrosse team is starting off the season 3-3.  Coming off of a 3 game win, Saturday April 13th, Tuesday, April 16th, and Thursday,...

The Bobcats getting ready to block a hit by Hall.
Boys Volleyball, Killing It
Erik Montes de Oca and Alex OuelletApril 25, 2024

The boy's volleyball team is doing well about halfway through the season. The team has a 6-1 record and is looking solid with 10 games remaining...

Featured Athlete: Catherine Downes

SWHS+Senior+goalkeeper+Catherine+Downes+catches+a+save+and+is+about+to+clear+the+ball.+
Catherine Downes
SWHS Senior goalkeeper Catherine Downes catches a save and is about to clear the ball.

With the girls lacrosse 2024 season starting up, senior goalkeeper Catherine Downes is excited to see what the season has in store for the Lady Bobcats. 

Even though it was difficult to find a coach for the girls team, tryouts finally wrapped up, and a coach was found, Coach LaPorte. The first game was completed at the beginning of the month, providing a jumping off point for the Lady Bobcats to cradle and check into a good season.

“Even though the beginning of the season was a little hectic. We’ve really pulled it together, and we have a great team and a lot of really good players; I’m so excited to see how this season plays out, and make it a fun senior season,”  commented Catherine Downes.

Downes is a strong goalie, as she served as both a leader on and off the field during her junior year, and the team is very lucky to have her. The start of a new season breeds new hope in the hearts of all the players, and with someone like Downes heading the charge, the girls lacrosse team couldn’t be more ready. 

While excited for her senior year, Downes is also prepared for her next step. She is currently committed to Stetson University, located in DeLand Florida, to continue both her academic and athletic career. The program allows Downes to play lacrosse collegiately at the division 1 level, as well as providing her intended major of political science under the Florida sun.

It has always been a dream of Downes to continue playing in college, and that dream is slowly becoming reality. 

“I’m just grateful that I get to continue to play my sport for four more years after high school, and I’m excited for a higher and more challenging level of play,” explained Downes, as she looks ahead.

I’m so proud that she is making her dreams come true

— senior Morgan Reed

Not only is she amazing on the field, but she is also beloved by her teammates, coaches and community for her personality and spirit. One of those teammates, senior Morgan Reed, has been playing lacrosse alongside Downes for a decade and can’t believe it’s their last season together.

“Catherine is one of my best friends on and off the field; she is a great goalie, and I love playing with her,” commented Reed, who discussed the future D1 athlete’s impact

Although they will be split up next year, as Reed plans to stay closer to home, the duo hopes to stay in touch and remain close friends. “I’m so proud that she is making her dreams come true, and I can’t wait to see what she accomplishes,” Reed said.

The future Hatter remains ready to tackle both the high school and collegiate landscape, and is excited to adventure out into the future. No matter what way the season goes, her leadership at goal will keep her legacy shining through as the Lady Bobcats hope to march into a successful season.