Colors of Diversity

IHAC celebrating Holi by decorating a Holi-themed Showcase in SWHS.
Judith Mohan

The festival of color–Holi is a traditional Hindu festival, celebrated on Monday, March 25th this year. It is celebrated in India, a country of prominent Hinduism, for two whole days in order to cherish the love between the Hindu God, Lord Krishan and Radha. It is a grand celebration of splashing vibrant colors at each other where the entire streets and town participates. 

In order to embrace cultural diversity, the South Windsor High School encourages students to embrace different cultures, one of which includes celebrating Holi. But due to clear reasons, restrictions are made to prevent any splashing of colors on other students. 

“I like that South Windsor High School supports us in celebrating Holi; it helps in embracing diversity,” freshman Deepshikha Paul told The Prowl

• Students actively participating in the Holi-craft activity.

• Members of IHAC discussing about Holi celebration.

The IHAC (Indian Heritage and Awareness Club) has embraced the Hindu culture by showcasing Holi themed posters and showpieces in the science hallway. The theme of the festival is well portrayed by the use of various colors and many traditional Indian decorations such as the marigold garlands and diyas.

Colorful Diyas and Holi-themed DIY’s made by students of IHAC. (Judith Mohan)

The tradition of splashing colors is now replaced with the “Holi-Craft” activity created by the members of the IHAC club due to concerns that the traditional method has the potential to cause a significant mess. This activity is done to represent the colorful shirts after Holi celebration. The members of the club have participated in making handmade colorful paper shirts with the use of pipettes and watercolor paints. These crafts are showcased in the science hallway. 

“Celebrating Holi in SWHS promotes cultural diversity and representation of all students, making them feel more included in the school community,” Sudeeksha Sajjana and Hiteshree Dirisala, co-presidents and founders of IHAC, told The Prowl

The IHAC club has also promised and is excited to host Holi related activities at the Multicultural Fair.