Educational Adventures Across the Atlantic

In preparation for the upcoming France-Spain trip, The Prowl sat down with trip organizer, Mrs. Ruiz, to raise excitement for the journey.
Max Schwartzman
SWHS students get excited for the upcoming France-Spain trip. (Made with Canva)

Over April break, 102 students and staff will embark on an 11 day trip across France and Spain, getting to explore a place few of them have visited before. 

The trip’s itinerary includes visits to the cities of Paris, Barcelona, Granada, Toledo and Madrid, allowing students ample time and opportunities to explore the unique and historic places within each city. 

Some of the sites that will be visited, according to the tour company’s itinerary, include the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe, the Louvre, the Sagrada Família, the Alhambra, the Plaza Mayor, and the Spanish Royal Palace. Additionally, students will have the chance to independently explore, as well as the opportunity to enjoy authentic French and Spanish cuisine during the trip. 

“I am looking forward to seeing the different cultures, spending time with all my friends, and making new ones, as well as trying the cuisine that I’m not used to having on a daily basis,” sophomore Kaleigh Aparo told The Prowl.

In their travels, students will be divided into two bus/plane groups. While they’ll generally have the opportunity to intermingle, students in group 1 will take the earlier flights from Boston to Paris and from Madrid back to Boston, whereas group 2 will have the later flights in addition to a layover in Atlanta on the way home.

Once in Europe, rooming will be based on buses, though students will have the ability to pick their roommates at each hotel.

The weather in Europe during the trip will be varied based on the city students are in, so they’re advised to dress in layers and bring clothing comfortable for all temperatures and weather conditions. Students should not bring excessive amounts of dress clothes, as there will be relatively few opportunities to wear them. Additionally, one of the best assets for students will be comfortable walking shoes, as they will be expected to walk between 10-30 thousand steps per day over potentially rough terrain – which is why heels are strongly discouraged. 

The reason why I do these trips is to see the wonderment on students’ faces, more than anything, and to see [them] thriving in a new place and to be able to gain new perspectives as global citizens

— Mrs. Ruiz

While the majority of students going on the trip have studied either French or Spanish for at least a few years, it may be beneficial for students to learn the basic niceties of both languages. There are many online resources for learning the basics, many of which are free. 

Among the students going, there is an atmosphere of excitement, as many will be visiting Europe for the very first time and are looking forward to an adventure. 

“I can’t imagine a better way to cap off four spectacular years at SWHS than walking the halls of the Louvre and strolling along the banks of the Seine with my friends and a pain au chocolat in my hand,” senior Will Kimber said.

For many students, the trip may spark an interest in learning about another culture or ignite a desire to study abroad in the future.

“The reason why I do these trips is to see the wonderment on students’ faces, more than anything, and to see [them] thriving in a new place and to be able to gain new perspectives as global citizens,” trip organizer Mrs. Ruiz told The Prowl

As they await their departure to Europe, anticipation grows among the students for a fun and educational time in France and Spain.