Senior Connor Mahan walks off field during South Windsors win over Berlin.
Mid Season Madness
Luke Taylor, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

The boys lacrosse team is starting off the season 3-3.  Coming off of a 3 game win, Saturday April 13th, Tuesday, April 16th, and Thursday,...

The Bobcats getting ready to block a hit by Hall.
Boys Volleyball, Killing It
Erik Montes de Oca and Alex OuelletApril 25, 2024

The boy's volleyball team is doing well about halfway through the season. The team has a 6-1 record and is looking solid with 10 games remaining...

Junior Sam Balducci walks up to the mount to hit.
‘Slammin’ Sam Balducci
Adam Albaghdadi, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

Junior third-baseman Sam Balducci is a talented, quick and skilled student-athlete who’s been creating havoc for opposing pitchers to this...

SWHSs varsity heat outruns Aerospace High Schools in their 100 meter.
SWHS Track Team Jump Starts Their Season
Annalyse McKenna and Mia RuizApril 24, 2024

The Bobcats have had a rough start to the season, losing the first 2 meets of the season against Manchester and Tolland. Yet, they were determined...

Varsity Wrestling’s Secret Weapon

Sophia Gordon Ranks Third in the CIAC Tournament.
Madeline Gordon
Sophomore Sophia Gordon taking on her opponent during a wrestling match.

Sophomore Sophia Gordon has persistently demonstrated excellence and success on the South Windsor High School Varsity Wrestling team. 

Gordon has had many achievements in her athletic career thus far, including being ranked as the third place champion for Connecticut’s CIAC bracket. This year, Gordon has continued to work hard, hoping to leave a legacy on the wrestling team for others to follow. 

“Throughout my career I have gone to the first ever Girls’ States, clinics, and now New England’s. I’m super excited to be paving the way for a growing community of women’s wrestlers,” Gordon said. “I hope to grow the girls team at South Windsor this year and would love it if we get a lot of new people.”

Gordon’s passion for wrestling started in 3rd grade when she originally started putting her time and effort into the sport. She has been participating in wrestling ever since and has taken up the challenge to prove her worth and skills on the mat. 

After the grueling hours of training, “…it’s really nice to see all that work pay off,” Gordon said.

Gordon’s countless hours put into the sport has not gone unnoticed, Madeline Gordon, Sophia’s mother stated.

The biggest sacrifice for her would be the lack of free time to spend with her friends and extended family during the season. All her time is spent training physically and mentally or doing schoolwork. After some of the high school’s practices, she even goes to the Youth Wrestling program to help out,” Madeline Gordon explained.

Since Gordon is one of the only girls on the wrestling team, she is often questioned on the challenges many imagine a girl might face on an all boys team. 

“It’s not bad at all,” Gordon stated. “Some people think it would suck being the only girl or having so few girls on the team, but the team is so close like a family. I don’t feel lonely because the guys are all great people and super nice and funny.”

Gordon has also found that wrestling has significantly improved many aspects of her life.

Sophomore Sophia Gordon wins wrestling match against Guilford opponent. (Madeline Gordon)

“Personally, I’ve become a lot more determined and strong minded from this sport,” Gordon said. “Before tests in school, I’m less stressed because I know how to control it, and I’ve become an overall happier person.” 

Not only does Gordon put countless hours and time into her wrestling abilities to achieve her goal of being the CIAC girls champion, but changing her perspective and mentality on the sport has also been a large factor of her success. 

“I learned to see everything as an opportunity,” Gordon explained. “I don’t have to go to practice; I get to go to practice.”

Gordon’s determination, relentless nature, and perseverance has driven her to success and allows her to continue to make a name for herself in the wrestling world of South Windsor High School and beyond.