Featured Athlete: Vanessa Liegl

Sophomore Vanessa Leigl is highlighted as a feature athlete for J.V. girls field hockey.
Sara Weiner

Prowl: Why did you start playing field hockey? 

Liegl: “I started playing field hockey in 6th grade, because it looked interesting to me since at the time I had older friends who had been playing and when they would talk about playing it sounded like so much fun to me. The games always amazed me to watch and when watching someone score or the goal stop always had my attention to see great team work which made me think that it would be a great way to make new friends while playing a sport that I thought I would love.”

Prowl: How do you balance academics and field hockey and is that hard for you?

Liegl: “Balancing academics is not too difficult for me as long as I have a schedule, if I have field hockey and a lot of homework I would have to plan everything out so I can stay productive  after school otherwise I will have less time. It keeps me productive and organized with my school work. After practice I’m able to get everything done. Some things can be overwhelming because it’s hard to fit everything in but most times it’s doable.”

Prowl: How do you contribute to the team as a player?

Liegl : “I contribute to the team as a player by playing the position forward. Forwards score and help bring the ball closer to the goal. I am in this position because I am good at aiming when I score and also I’m good at getting around the other team’s defense.”

Prowl: Why do you play field hockey and what motivates you to continue playing field hockey?

Liegel:  “The reason I play field hockey is similar to the reason I started playing, because I have gotten really good at playing and I love it so much. Hanging out with the team after school is always my favorite part of the day which keeps me motivated to continue playing.”

Prowl: Can you talk about a time when you faced a challenge in field hockey and how you came over that challenge?

Liegl: “A time that I faced a challenge in field hockey was when I first started playing, I was not very good at my hits because they wouldn’t go far and I wasn’t good at dibbling the ball on the field. I overcame this by practicing everyday for hours and working on each skill in order to get better at these skills.”

Prowl: How did field hockey shape you as a person?

Liegl: “Field hockey shaped me as a person because in life if I can’t get something the first time or comprehend difficult things I now know that if I continue to try and practice it will get easier and I will get better at it because field hockey has taught me that you can’t always get something the first time.”

Prowl: What life lessons has field hockey taught you?

Liegl: “A life lesson field hockey has taught me to not worry about little things in life, like if we were to lose a game I know there’s going to be other games and we can put in more practice hours, try our best, and win the next time. In life if I do badly on a test or I don’t do my best I know I can continue to try things and can get better and there will be other chances to do things. I don’t have to be so serious all the time.”

Prowl: What is your favorite part of field hockey?

Liegl: “My favorite part of field hockey is definitely the games because I love scoring and also showing how me and my team have practiced and progressed over the time, and being able to put that to use and show that off on the field makes it my favorite part of playing.”

Prowl: Do you think field hockey will affect your life in the future?

Liegl: “I do think field hockey will affect my future because it has taught me to work as a team and I may play in college so if I do decide to play in college I could possibly get a scholarship or other things that can help in my future.”