South Windsor Embraces Eid

Example of Eid decorations Muslims put up to feel the spirit of Eid.
Hana Moustafa

The Muslim Celebration of Eid Al Fitr is celebrated at the end of the month of Ramadan. Ramadan is the holy month which is celebrated on the ninth month of the Islamic calendar. The month of Ramadan is a beloved and special month for Muslims where they fast, and give charity to people in need.

After spending a month of reflection and self-discipline during Ramadan, Muslims begin to celebrate and pray. Eid Al Fitr is celebrated because Muslims have completed a month of fasting and have come closer to God. Eid Al Fitr is a time to show thankfulness and gratitude towards God.

During Eid, Muslims visit the mosque early to attend Eid prayer. After they finish praying, it is common for Muslims to spend time with their family. One well-known tradition Muslims have is wearing new clothes and receiving money and gifts, many of which are from relatives or loved ones. 

This year was the first year South Windsor High School has given Muslim students a day off for Eid. This is a big accomplishment for Muslim students and teachers because Eid Al Fitr is one of the most important holidays for Muslims. This change was made because Muslims continuously expressed their desire to have this holiday off. 

“Last Eid, I couldn’t take it off because I had a very important test that I had to take; I didn’t even have time to celebrate with my loved ones,” freshman Fatimah Majid told The Prowl.

South Windsor is the second school district in Connecticut to make Eid Al Fitr a day off. French teacher, Mr. Moussa Ly expresses the importance of this accomplishment for Muslim students and teachers. 

“I used to have to work on one of my favorite holidays, and now I get to have time off and spend it with my loved ones,” Ly explained.

As a result of this change, SWHS’ Muslim students can celebrate Eid without worrying about tests, homework, and missing assignments, getting the chance to enjoy their holiday fully.