Arming Teachers in School: Here’s the Problem

AP

Maya Morales, 15, holds a sign during a walkout and demonstration for gun control at Anderson High School in Austin, Texas, on Friday Feb. 23, 2018. (Jay Janner/Austin American-Statesman via AP)

Elena Sanderson

After all of the recent mass shootings, such as the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School mass shooting in Parkland, Florida killing 17 innocent children, there is a very controversial topic spreading around regarding arming teachers in school in hopes of “protecting” students. 

Without a doubt, the number one priority in school is safety. However, arming teachers is clearly the wrong option. Teachers become teachers in order to teach children and have a positive influence on their lives, not to shoot guns that they barely even know how to work.

As well as not only knowing how to properly work a gun, there are many teachers that are easily angered by students, and having access to a gun on them could easily cause harm.

Dennis Alexander, Seaside City, California’s mayor pro tem and reserve officer with the Sand City Police Department  injured a 17 year old student at Seaside High School in Seaside, California on Tuesday when teaching a public safety class and accidentally firing his gun as he pointed it to the ceiling.

“I think a lot of questions on parents’ minds are, why a teacher would be pointing a loaded firearm at the ceiling in front of students. Clearly, in this incident, protocols were not followed,” Superintendent PK Diffenbaugh told CNN affiliate KSBW.

The student harmed in the incident’s father later spoke on his opinion of teachers having guns in schools, saying how he understands that it was an accident, but that somebody could easily have died, and that is definitely a reason enough for teachers to not have access to guns in school. “I was kinda leaning toward having armed people in school in case something happened. After today, I get why people say there should be no guns in schools,” student’s father Fermin Gonzales told CNN. “If there’s an accident — people could die. If it’s just one, that’s more than enough,” Gonzales added.

If even someone of this level of experience just like that accidentally injures a student with a gun, what makes you think that something just like this, if not worse, would happen continuously if teachers were armed?