South Windsor High School’s Alternative Education Program

The alternative education program is located in the Annex on SWHSs campus.
Lexi Westbrook
The alternative education program is located in the Annex on SWHS’s campus.

Located in the South Windsor High School Annex, South Windsor’s alternative education program is bringing new learning to many students, ranging from freshman through seniors.

Headed by science teacher Mr. Jeffrey Stead, the program offers students pathways to graduation that differ from traditional methods of education. It is a place where students who are searching to be themselves with less pressure can take ownership of their learning.

In this program, students have the opportunity to shape their own learning through voicing their interests in each of the core subjects offered at the main high school building. Teachers from the main building bring their classes over to the Annex and adjust their typical lessons to fit the needs and interests of the students in the alternative education program. Graduation requirements for alternative education students are the same as for students who attend traditional classes in the main building, and students are encouraged to be active in sports and after school clubs over in the main building.

Mr. Stead says that the current students in the program are working to come up with a name that best reflects the essence of what they do. They are thinking of calling it APEX, which stands for Alternative Pathways for Empowering Exploration. “It’s nice because apex also means the top of something, the best of something. We like the dual meaning.”

Apex also means the top of something, the best of something. We like the dual meaning.

— Mr. Stead

This program offers an alternate setting for students who don’t feel the larger high school suits their needs. Anyone is eligible, and a student or their parents can apply to be in the program.

A team of educators and other school professionals sit down and evaluate whether the program is a good fit for each student who applies.

There is currently a maximum of 12 students per adult in the program, but they do hope to expand. Students in the alternative education program are finding success in ways that better fit their personalities and interests.