SWHS’s Newest Coast Guard Bear

Robin Shaw
Olivia Kvadus has been accepted into the Coast Guard Academy.

For many seniors in South Windsor High School getting accepted into college is just one more thing on their to do list, to senior Olivia Kvadus, it means so much more. Kvadus was accepted into the United States Coast Guard Academy, which took years of hard work. 

“By middle school, I knew that I wanted to serve in the military and get a college education. Naturally I was drawn to the service academies as they offer the perfect combination of these two things. Additionally the idea of being in an environment which was solely people who had this same interest was very appealing to me. I was drawn to the USCGA more specifically because of the coast guards unique and humanitarian missions,” Kvadus explained. 

The United States Coast Guard Academy, located in New London, CT, is more than just a college, the Academy pushes you to your physical, intellectual and leadership limits. With a highly competitive acceptance rate of only 21% of applicants, no other South Windsor students were granted acceptance for the 24-25 school year.

“Getting appointed was not an easy process. It required lots of physical, academic, and mental preparations,” Kvadus commented.  

SWHS student Kvadus holds her acceptance letter to the Coast Guard Academy. (Robin Shaw)

In order to get into the Coast Guard Academy, Kvadus needed to sacrifice a great amount of time to get a shot at being a candidate for acceptance. Aside from working hard in school, Kvadus joined the South Windsor Girls Cross Country team in preparation for the Academy.

“Throughout high school I had to keep up a rigorous course load, participate heavily in extracurricular activities, athletics, community service, and leadership opportunities.

On top of academics, Kvadus is the president of several extracurricular clubs such as the Italian Club and History Club at South Windsor while finding time to attend AIM.

“Prior to applying, I also attended AIM which was an immersive Swab Summer (boot camp) experience.”

This intensive military program offers careers in fields ranging from civil engineering, to cyber systems as well as marine and environmental sciences, and Kvadus will be pursuing operations research and data analytics.   

“I am really looking forward to getting to be part of the Coast Guard family. Everyone who I have met thus far in the Coast Guard or attending the Academy have been absolutely amazing people, and I am looking forward (and honored) to have the opportunity to serve alongside them!”