Descending to Greatness
Keerthana Toram and Pooravi Srivastava April 22, 2024

Check out the exciting classes offered in the basement.

Tech education teacher and Bobcat Nation News advisor in front of the tool wall in the woodworking classroom.
SWHS's Jack of All Trades
Andrew Kronnenwetter, Staff Writer • April 22, 2024

Broadcast news, woodworking, and construction teacher, Mr. Joseph Jarvis has been a huge part of SWHS’ entertainment and news programs, giving...

Big Dawg Home Improvement
Annalyse McKenna, Staff Writer • April 19, 2024

Local business Big Dawg Home Improvements is a thriving business in the South Windsor community. This small business was started by a veteran,...

Barbara Eddy, ASL teacher in her classroom on the second floor.
Eddy Wraps up her Final Year Teaching at SWHS
Ethan Sands, Staff Writer • April 19, 2024

After nearly 20 years of service in the South Windsor School District, SWHS’s American Sign Language (ASL) teacher Barbara Eddy is retiring...

Two customers walking into the front of Mexicali located in South Windsor.
Mexicali Gives Back to the Community
Gwen Giard, Staff Writer • April 15, 2024

Opening in 2015, Mexicali has been the go-to Mexican restaurant for many South Windsor residents for almost 10 years. With a fun and family-oriented...

A Creative Craft

Student uses innovation to create her own glaze for capstone project.
Ms. Roxanne Lane
Kerry Stephens holding up one of the many pots she created in front of the glazes she used.

South Windsor High School senior Kerry Stephens has spent months over the summer, and school year, researching how to create her own glaze by studying the history of glazes used on ceramics. 

Her research has included the composition of glaze, glaze calculations, and requirements for safety. These glazes are made up of many different raw materials. 

The raw materials go in before the glaze melts and turns into an oxide. The raw materials must oxidize at 2100 degrees to meet the cone 5 oxidation process that we use at South Windsor High School. This is ceramic chemistry, which is a more complex version of  what one typically learns in high school chemistry. 

Stephens spent time researching the temperature materials melt, fuse, and vitrify with each other. She also spent time researching the process of different oxidations to give herself more background knowledge so that she wouldn’t limit herself in her understanding of the process. 

After Stephens created her glaze plan, she had it checked by a recent graduate of Alfred University, Tiffany Nolan. 

Stephens chose to create this project because ever since her sophomore year of high school she knew that she wanted to major in ceramics at the post-secondary level. During Stephens’ freshman year, she thought that she would want to major in painting or drawing, and only took pottery classes to have a range of experience for her future capstone project. 

The reason that Stephens stayed in clay work and pottery classes is because of South Windsor High School’s pottery and clay work teacher of 25 years, Ms. Roxanne Lane.  She describes Lane as an amusing mentor who shared insightful stories.  Stephens formed a strong connection with Lane over the years and has gotten comfortable with the subjects Lane taught. 

“I’ve seen her grow as a student and a potter,” Lane said. 

But having such a big capstone project that was coming up weighed heavy on her summer schedule. 

“I studied a lot over the summer. I would say maybe one to three hours 5 days a week,” Stephens said. 

After struggling with high school chemistry, Stephens knew that she could step it up by studying the chemistry behind creating glazes. This was a major struggle for her because she didn’t have professors to turn to when facing rough patches through the process. Surprisingly though, Stephens stated that the hardest part of her capstone was the presenting part of it. 

“Ms. Lane has inspired me to continue pottery. Her creating her glazes was inspiring,” Stephens said.

After High School, Stephens plans to be a fine art major with a concentration in ceramics.