A Changing of the Guard

Ethan Sands
Peter Korchari (current SRO) and Jeremy Weiss (incoming SRO) in room 101.

SWHS’s current School Resource Officer (SRO), Officer Peter Korchari is leaving SWHS on December 6 to work as a digital investigator. Officer Jeremy Weiss will take up the SRO position.

Korchari has worked for the Town of South Windsor as a police officer for 15 years, but has been positioned at SWHS as a SRO for the past four.

The training Korchari and other SRO’s undergo teaches them how to build relationships with people in the school, de-escalate situations and work within the community and the building.

As a patrol officer, it was difficult for Korchari to talk with South Windsor citizens while out in neighborhoods, since he was constantly radioed to different locations around town.

As an SRO officer, however, Korchari got the chance to build stronger connections with students, which he says has been a great experience for him.

It’s rewarding for me because I get to get out there and actually feel like I’m making a difference in kids’ lives.

— Officer Korchari

“It’s rewarding for me because I get to get out there and actually feel like I’m making a difference in kids’ lives,” said Korchari when speaking with The Prowl.

Korchari loved his time at SWHS and, though he is excited about his new position, will miss the connections he’s built with so many students. 

Korchari’s successor, Jeremy Weiss, has 22 years of experience in the police field. Throughout that time, he’s worked as a patrol cop, criminal investigator (detective) and in a Special Enforcement Unit.

“It’s [being a SRO] a whole new aspect of police work for me,” said Weiss. “We’re looking for building a relationship, and that’s just a lot different than what I’m used to.”

Weiss was a criminal investigator for five years. He enjoyed the position, comparing it to putting the pieces of a puzzle back together, but said that it was a lengthy process that involved a lot of thinking and documentation.

“Everything takes a lot more time than what you see in the movies,” said Weiss. “One thing I do that might take me five minutes as an investigator will give me two hours of paperwork.”

While Weiss has not worked as an SRO before, most of his family are in the educational field so he is familiar with the school environment. He is already in the building while he and Korchari trade posts and is excited to start the position full time.