Winter Wonders Await

Exploring the possibilities of the SWHS Annex amidst the anticipation of snowflakes.
Michael Wang
The Annex has been fully functioning for students and staff for the past three months, but as the weather begins to change, concerns about the commute between buildings come to the forefront.

As winter encroaches upon South Windsor High School, a spellbinding, albeit slightly concerning, transformation envelops the SWHS Annex. Over the past three months, the SWHS Annex has proven to be a valuable addition, addressing the growing need for space and accommodating a broader array of classes for students to access.

The availability of additional classrooms has relieved overcrowding concerns in the main building while fostering enriched learning experiences and broadening academic exploration in courses such as world language, business, culinary arts, and more. 

However, over the past few months, the increased travel time between the main facility and the Annex has not gone unnoticed. 

“The primary drawback of the Annex is the considerable amount of time it takes to reach it,” sophomore Daiwik Maddula told The Prowl.

While the benefits of the SWHS Annex are substantial, it is imperative to acknowledge the imminent impact of the fast approaching, winter weather conditions that SWHS will soon fall victim to. 

I’m well aware of the risks that snowy weather brings to the safe transition to the Annex.

— Mrs. Ruiz

“I’m well aware of the risks that snowy weather brings to the safe transition to the Annex, ” Spanish teacher Ms. Ruiz explained. “The best solution to this problem would be to remind students to plan ahead.” 

This concern is not unfounded; a severe lightning storm impeded safe transit between the two buildings, delaying all classes for 30 minutes in early October. This incident showcased the effects and potential risks of future snow related disruptions, as it negatively influenced the schedule for the day. 

It is essential for the cooperation of everyone so that this issue may be quickly resolved. “As we get into the winter months, students and faculty must be wearing the appropriate footwear and clothing. As long as they come to school prepared, there should be no problems,” Chris, one of the security guards at SWHS stated.  By doing this, it will allow everyone’s safety to be guaranteed, assuring a successful school year.

So far, the SWHS Annex building has ushered in a plethora of opportunities, augmenting the already solid educational landscape. With a collective effort, the Annex will not only further enhance this school’s academic fabric, but also its safety and overall environment for all to enjoy.