Winnipeg Blue Bombers win 107th Grey Cup


Jacob Chaimovitch, Editor

The wait is over.

On Sunday, November 24th in Calgary, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers defeated the Hamilton Tiger-Cats by a score of 33-12 to end their championship drought that spanned 29 years and win the Canadian Football League’s Grey Cup. Going into the game, the Blue Bombers were four-point underdogs against the Tiger-Cats, who were 15-3 compared to Winnipeg’s 11-7 record.

Winnipeg opened the scoring after a fumble recovery and a rushing touchdown the next play by RB Andrew Harris. After a made rouge by Justin Medlock, the Bombers took a 7-0 lead. Hamilton kicker Lirim Hajrullahu converted a field goal to pull the deficit to 7-3, but Medlock converted a rouge two minutes later to make the score 8-3; this would stay that way through the end of the first quarter. The second quarter would be the time when the game was busted open by the Blue Bombers. After an early Hamilton FG by Hajrullaha to make the game 8-6, the Bombers responded with a pair of FGs and another TD by Andrew Harris to bust the game open to 21-6. This would be the biggest lead of the game for the Blue Bombers so far, but certainly wouldn’t be the last dagger in the heart of the Tiger-Cats.

After a halftime performance by Keith Urban and Carrie Underwood, Winnipeg came storming back with another FG to make it 24-6. Hamilton, however, would not die easy. The Tiger-Cats would fire back with a TD late in the 3rd. With a chance at a two-point conversion, they were stopped by the Bombers’ defense, making the score 24-12. This would be the end of the scoring for the Tiger-Cats. Three more FGs by the Bombers in the remaining of the 3rd and 4th would seal the deal: a 33-12 victory for the Blue Bombers and the party began. Blue Bombers RB Andrew Harris won the MVP award and the Dick Suderman Trophy as the Most Valuable Canadian, making him the first player in CFL history to win both in the same year. However, also in contention for the awards was Bombers kicker Justin Medlock, who tied the Grey Cup record for field goals made (6) and attempted (7) in a single championship game.